cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fencing with iSCSI disks

vostrushka
Level 3
I have my test cluster configured with iSCSI disks. I tried to configure fencing with iSCSI as well with no success. The vxfentsthdw utility failing to test the disk always on the same test for all three disks I tried. Could it has something to do with speed of my iSCSI server (freenas running as VM) or there are some configuration tricks to make iSCSI disks work as fencing devices. I did not have any problems with iSCSI LUNs for application. They are slow but working. Please find below vxfentsthdw output: redhat23:root ~ # /opt/VRTSvcs/vxfen/bin/vxfentsthdw ... Do you still want to continue : [y/n] (default: n) y The logfile generated for vxfentsthdw is /var/VRTSvcs/log/vxfen/vxfentsthdw.log.17367 Enter the first node of the cluster: redhat23 Enter the second node of the cluster: redhat24 Enter the disk name to be checked for SCSI-3 PGR on node redhat23 in the format: for dmp: /dev/vx/rdmp/sdx for raw: /dev/sdx Make sure its the same disk as seen by nodes redhat23 and redhat24 /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 Enter the disk name to be checked for SCSI-3 PGR on node redhat24 in the format: for dmp: /dev/vx/rdmp/sdx for raw: /dev/sdx Make sure its the same disk as seen by nodes redhat23 and redhat24 /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 *************************************************************************** Testing redhat23 /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 redhat24 /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 Evaluate the disk before testing ........................ No Pre-existing keys RegisterIgnoreKeys on disk /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 from node redhat23 ...... Passed Verify registrations for disk /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 on node redhat23 ..... Passed RegisterIgnoreKeys on disk /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 from node redhat24 ...... Passed Verify registrations for disk /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 on node redhat24 ..... Passed Unregister keys on disk /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 from node redhat23 ......... Passed Verify registrations for disk /dev/vx/rdmp/disk_0 on node redhat24 ..... Failed Unregistration test for disk failed on node redhat24. Unregistration from one node is causing unregistration of keys from the other node. Disk is not SCSI-3 compliant on node redhat24. Execute the utility vxfentsthdw again and if failure persists contact the vendor for support in enabling SCSI-3 persistent reservations Removing test keys and temporary files, if any... redhat23:root ~ #
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you checked the HCL for your SF/HA version? e.g. https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/6.0/Linux/CompatibilityLists/

Some arrays are supported with iSCSI.

Also verify that SCSI-3 Reservation is enabled at array level.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you checked the HCL for your SF/HA version? e.g. https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/6.0/Linux/CompatibilityLists/

Some arrays are supported with iSCSI.

Also verify that SCSI-3 Reservation is enabled at array level.

vostrushka
Level 3

Yep, FreeNAS issue all the way. It does not support SCSI-3 Reservation.

Thank you for the tip.

Leonid