cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Blocking Not Working

Mark_Christoffe
Level 4
I have a 2 node cluster and noticed today that Storeage Exec is not blocking files based on the policy. I have removed the policy and re-added, moved the resources to the second node, deleted the policy and recreated, stopped and restarted Storeage Exec....nothing seems to make the policy work. It was just working last week and nothing has changed on the servers. Help!

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Shahid_Gul_2
Level 2
Hi,
I have exactly the same issue.
I have a 2 node windows cluster, with SE with latest hotfix 12 installed.

The storage policies are working fine but the File blocking policies are not working on the shared resources.

I tested that file blocking works fine on the local drive on the server but not on the shared resource.

Please post a solution if you find out whats wrong. And I'll post a solution if I find out before.

thanks.

Mark_Christoffe
Level 4
Update.... I was trying to update Storeage Exec to the latest hotfix (#23) which required me to remove Storage Exec from the cluster resources. When I removed Storeage Exec from the cluster resources (all cluster services running on 1 node) the file blocking started to work. Granted I was not able to install the latest hotfix because it errored out on both nodes. So what that tells me is there is an issue when Storage Exec is running as a cluster resource. I would like to see a Veritas post on this issue.

Shahid_Gul_2
Level 2
I will try that and see how it goes. I have hotfix 22 on the server now but hasn't helped with the issue.
I'll post back if I get the same results as you did when breaking the cluster

cheers

Mark_Christoffe
Level 4
Side note.... do you know how to tell what hotfix level that application is running?

Shahid_Gul
Level 4
I don't know any other direct way but I look at the file that is mentioned in the Hotfix notes and compare it to what I have on the server.

So in my case, for HotFix 22, I check the file SERptGenU.dll and the version was 5.3.2190.22
The last bit is 22 so its patched upto 22.

I looked at the notes on Hotfix 23, which say to check the file SESnapin.dll and when I check my version of this file it says 5.3.2190.21.
Which means I haven't applied hotfix 23 yet.

Its a bit of a long winded way but it works...

cheers

Mark_Christoffe
Level 4
Very good. Thanks.

Shahid_Gul_2
Level 2
No luck with turning off storage exec on the cluster resources.
I turned it off and then set file blocking policy on the share I was having trouble with but still now luck. I'm able to save a jpg file even though a block graphics file policy is there.

The same file blocking policy works fine when applied to the local C drive.

I'm at a loss now. I have no idea why this isn't working.

Shahid_Gul
Level 4
Hi Mark,
I have finally got Storage Exec working on our Cluster server.

Upgraded to Storage Exec version 5.5 and that fixed all the issues.

I can now successfully add file blocking policies to the managed resources. And they are working.

You should try the latest version and see how you go.

Good luck.

Mark_Christoffe
Level 4
Tried to install 5.5 and it failed. Symantec technical support could not figure out the issue, nor could Microsoft. I had to roll back to 5.3.