cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from Storage Foundation Standard (v4) to Basic?

elanmbx
Level 6

We have a number of systems which were purchased a long time ago with SF Standard.  There is no need for use to have Standard since they are within the parameters of needing only Basic (CPUs <=2, vol/fs's <= 4).  Is there any way to "convert" to a Basic license from the Standard license?

Do I have to upgrade to v5 to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

I don't believe an version upgrade is needed... If you just want to replace the standard license with a basic license ... you can delete the old license & enter new license..  but be very sure that basic licensing is serving to all the features you are using ..

# vxlicrep -e   (gives current license report)

# mv /etc/vx/licenses/lic/*   <some_tmp_directory>    (move your current licenses)

# vxlicadd    (add new license)

# vxdctl license init   (initialize new license)

One more thing, while entering new license, make sure you have a valid license .. till 3.5 license keys use to be numeric however 4.x onwards, it became alpha-numeric...

G

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

I don't believe an version upgrade is needed... If you just want to replace the standard license with a basic license ... you can delete the old license & enter new license..  but be very sure that basic licensing is serving to all the features you are using ..

# vxlicrep -e   (gives current license report)

# mv /etc/vx/licenses/lic/*   <some_tmp_directory>    (move your current licenses)

# vxlicadd    (add new license)

# vxdctl license init   (initialize new license)

One more thing, while entering new license, make sure you have a valid license .. till 3.5 license keys use to be numeric however 4.x onwards, it became alpha-numeric...

G

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Possibly best to contact Customer Care for license swap: http://customercare.symantec.com/

(Not your reseller - they won't be happy wink )

Click on : Submit a Request