cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-UX data migration

Kohdy
Level 2

Hello,

I am trying to migrate data from one external hdd to another. The data from the "source" hdd data is from a HP-UX (vxfs i believe) device and Id like to copy the information to an ext4 filesystem on another hdd. I have a RHEL 7.2 box to do this with. I'm completley new to vxfs, if anyone here could point me in the right direction that would be great. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Veritas tools can be used if Storage Foundation (VxVM + VxFS) was used on source (HP-UX) where the volume and filesystem was created as well as on the target (Linux).
VxVM CDS disk format is recognized by all VxVM platforms and enable seamless disk import. 
fscdsconv command is then used on the Linux server to convert the Veritas filesystem from big endian (Unix) to little endian (Linux) before filesystem can be mounted.

I am not aware of any other tools that exist to perform these steps.

If you have a file-level backup of the data (any backup software), you should be able to perform a file-level restore.
Dead easy using NetBackup... 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne

There are no Veritas tools to migrate data from VxFS on Unix (HP-UX) to ext4 on Linux.

You will need to use straight-forward OS commands (scp / ftp / sftp) or else backup and restore. 

The data I am trying to migrate is on an external hdd and is not connected to a HP-UX machine. I was curious to see if there was anyway this would be possible by using Linux box, specifically RHEL 7, to transfer the data from one hdd to another. When you say backup and restore is that specific to Veritas' backup and recovery software? 

Marianne

Veritas tools can be used if Storage Foundation (VxVM + VxFS) was used on source (HP-UX) where the volume and filesystem was created as well as on the target (Linux).
VxVM CDS disk format is recognized by all VxVM platforms and enable seamless disk import. 
fscdsconv command is then used on the Linux server to convert the Veritas filesystem from big endian (Unix) to little endian (Linux) before filesystem can be mounted.

I am not aware of any other tools that exist to perform these steps.

If you have a file-level backup of the data (any backup software), you should be able to perform a file-level restore.
Dead easy using NetBackup...