cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Availability Solution Needed

DKone
Not applicable

Hello,

I have server hardware hooked up to a SAN, with a very mission critical MS SQL database running.  I need a high availability solution that can ensure no SQL transactions are lost in a fail over.  Can a Symantec product do this, and which would it be?

Server 2008 R2 is running the MS SQL 2008 DB.  It currently has two servers in a cluster with some third party software that we are getting rid of due to the hardware limitations per VM, it's old almost EOL software.  So I'm shopping for the latest and greatest.

Right now the servers are running as a VM under XenServer, this does not have to be the case, we will work around what ever will work best for us.  I can put these back on bare metal, put them in some Symantec perfered format, what ever works best.

Is the product agent based or does it act as a host to clients in some fashion?  I ask because I see there is a Windows version of Storage Foundation, then theres a Linux Cluster server.  I'd rather use something that actually runs off Linux, or acts a Linux host.  I would like to know the difference between the two and which would work best for me.

Thank you very much

Daryl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Daryl,

Storage Foundation HA (Veritas Cluster) runs on most operating systems  (AIX, HPUX, Redhat, MS, SLES, Solaris). In your case though you would run it on Windows. Those windows systems could be physical or virtual in VMWare.

The software installed on the operating system, as most cluster products are, and then a cluster is configured between the nodes. Storage Foundation HA includes the volume management software (for creating volumes, filesystems, snapshots, mirrors,etc) and also the cluster component.

Your microsoft SQL server instance(s) would then be clustered between the nodes.

VCS use dependencies to ensure that the SQL server is stopped, and transactions are flushed before bring down other components in the stack. This obviously doesn't apply in instances where there is loss of power etc.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Daryl,

Storage Foundation HA (Veritas Cluster) runs on most operating systems  (AIX, HPUX, Redhat, MS, SLES, Solaris). In your case though you would run it on Windows. Those windows systems could be physical or virtual in VMWare.

The software installed on the operating system, as most cluster products are, and then a cluster is configured between the nodes. Storage Foundation HA includes the volume management software (for creating volumes, filesystems, snapshots, mirrors,etc) and also the cluster component.

Your microsoft SQL server instance(s) would then be clustered between the nodes.

VCS use dependencies to ensure that the SQL server is stopped, and transactions are flushed before bring down other components in the stack. This obviously doesn't apply in instances where there is loss of power etc.