cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to boot VXVM disk on another same model server

Home_224
Level 6

I am using the Solaris 9 , Veritas Volume manager and VCS 4.1 MP2 , mirror two boot disk. I want to use remove the mirror disk to boot another same model server for system requirements.  May I know what is the procedure to do this action can boot it normally?  Please advice 

6 REPLIES 6

frankgfan
   VIP   

The simple answer is this is not going to work and it is not a supported way.  Since you said "boot vxvm disk", I assme that the system disk on the original host is encapsulated.   When the vxvm was initialized on the original system, some host related info was used in the vxvm configuration.  Also the license might be node-locked meaning it cannot be used on other host.

IInstall a fresh vxvm on the new system then import the disk which has the data on the "vxvm boot disk" from the original system on to the new host is recommended and supported way to "migrate" data.

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your informaton !

But we can't buy extra the license as the version is EOL, we try to consult with Veritas regarding for upgrade the version , but upgrade failed even they remote to assist us with upgrade.  

frankgfan
   VIP   

Did you open a support case with Veritas? 

Is the case still open? 

If the TSE was not able yo resolve the issue, you should request to have the case escalate to backline. 

Remember, even if 4.1.* versions are EOL/EOSL, but upgrade to a supported version is sill  supported.  If the original case was closed, open a new "upgrade issue" case.  There are some work arounds available to resolve the issue, so long as both the hardware and the OS are compatible with VxVM 6.* or later.

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

I want to upgrade the VXVM but the end users to do this process, the third application will need to re-development and risk for production, so we don't want to take the risk to upgrade, we do the government project, in case of the upgrade failed and impact for the production , we also need to penatly.

frankgfan
   VIP   

If the server and other hardware like storage etc are compatible with Sol 9 and VxVM 4.1MP2, technically you can still make it to work.  However, VxVM is no longer a supported version, Veritas support would not open a case for it.  one thing you can do is to talk to your account manager or BCAM to see if you can get a support exception (need to pay) so that Veritas support can assist you resolving the issue.

Let me asked you this/  Have you done the followings?

1. install Sol 9 on the server

2. install VxVM 4.1 MP2 on the server

(in case VxVM 4.1 install failed, what was the error?  Have you checked the install logs?)

3. once 4.1 MP2 is installed successfully,  attatch the storage with the data that you with to import on to the new system. (you can import teh rootdg from the old system with a new dg name (see vxdg manpage for command syntax)).

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your information 

I don't want to install Sol 9 and VCS as the server contain Documentum server which I am not familiar with this software, so I only to do is use the second mirror to boot up another server, and mirror the disk to this server.