Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run fbsync on windows ?

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

OS = Windows 2008 R2 (64bit)

SFHA = 6.0.1

One Diskgroup with one volume configured and that volume configured for replication. Replication is running fine and we tried migration between both nodes which is also running fine.

Question

- I shutdown primary Node and takeover DR node which did successful.

- I start entering data on DR site node which is also going good.

- I start Primary Node. Now both sites nodes showing Primary Primary. In this situation in Linux I do fbsyc which make DR Site Node New Primary and make the Primary Site Node New DR node. But in windows under VEA i am not able to see the fbsync command. ANy suggestion will be appriciated

-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

fbsync exists in windows and you can use "vxrds fbsync" or if you have VCS you can right click on RVGPrimary resource and pick fbsync from "actions".  fbsync does make the RVG a secondary, but you can make an RVG a secondary without fastback resync, so I would agree this is bad wording in Windows, unless fbsync is not enabled, if for instance you are not using DCMs or you selected "disastor" when you did takeover which disables fbsync

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Zahid_Haseeb

It seems that on DR Site Node. I have to select the Make Secondary command as below instead of "fbsync in linux".

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

fbsync exists in windows and you can use "vxrds fbsync" or if you have VCS you can right click on RVGPrimary resource and pick fbsync from "actions".  fbsync does make the RVG a secondary, but you can make an RVG a secondary without fastback resync, so I would agree this is bad wording in Windows, unless fbsync is not enabled, if for instance you are not using DCMs or you selected "disastor" when you did takeover which disables fbsync

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

I am not using JAVA Console. Its just a one to one Node Replication.

hmm So you mean we dont have any option from GUI which can trigger fbsync(like from GUI we can do takeover and migrate). The only way to do fbsync from command prompt.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As fbsync does make the RVG a secondary, it maybe that "Make Secondary" option in GUI is doing an fbsync, but you can make an RVG a secondary without fastback resync, so this is bad wording in Windows, if this is the case, especially when Linux give correct "fbsync" terminolgy.  But it couldbe that fbsync is not enabled, if for instance you are not using DCMs or you selected "disastor" when you did takeover which disables fbsync, so it maybe that "Make Secondary" is your only option as fbsync is disabled.

To see if fbsync is enabled, just see if RDS is using DCM tracking when you are in Primary-Primary situation - if DCMs are in use, then fbsync is enabled.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks for your words Mike. Let me see it.

But I confirmed in my lab, the fbsync activity from command prompt which is also a best option :)

Zahid_Haseeb

I did my work from command prompt fbsync command.....

Just an update:

Make secondary did not work for me(even I think its not bad wording, its something else)...

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Agreed - it looks like "Make Secondary" option in GUI is JUST doing equiv of "vxrvg makesecondary" and so is NOT doing fbsync.  Did you try right clicking on RDS instead of RVG to see if fbsync option is there - if it is not, then I guess you can only do from CLI in Windows.

Mike