Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto know who is generating the I/O

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

OS = Linux Redhat 6.2
Disk/Volume Manager = Veritas Storage Foundation(not LVM)

Storage Foundation version = 6.0 with RP1

Physical Disks = Three

DIsk 1 = This Disk is only for OS which is not under control of Storage Foundation

DIsk2  = This disk has two volumes to be replicated

Disk3 = This disk has two volumes for SRL

Volume Size of Disk2 = Volume1 is 140GB and Volume2 is 139GB 

Diskgroup = one

Problem

In the Diskgroup I have made two volumes. I have configured replication and these two volumes are being replicated to DR Site properly. I have data in both volumes and my system is idle. But my second volume contineously shows that some data is being replicating to DR Site(always shows some data under SRL while repstatus command).

My question is how can I figure out that who is generating the I/O

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rsharma1
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

might consider using a tool like iotop or htop to segreggate per-process IO to help you conclude

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rsharma1
Level 5

might consider using a tool like iotop or htop to segreggate per-process IO to help you conclude

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is always some traffic in VVR for management information - specically timestamp.  If your system is idle, if you run "vxstat -g diskgroup -i 5" (on primary or secondary), then you should see the SRL is the only volume that is written to and data volumes are not (the first figures output are writes since boot, but then vxstat will shows writes every 5 seconds).  If this is the case, you know it is VVR generating the small amount of traffic.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Thanks all for kind replies.

David_Wright_2
Level 3

'vxtrace' will give the pid of the originating process.