cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with 1TB LUNs Storage Foundation Solaris X86

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

Hello I have very little knowledge about Storage Foundation and I am getting issues using CDS for LUNs of 1TB on Soalris X86. I cannot find the proper sequence for adding LUNs to VXVM control.

My question would be whether the sequence is correct:

1. Disable MPXIO on the server

2. Present the LUNs (in Multipath)

3. I ran the command luxadm -e forcelip on the hba ports to discover the LUNs

after that, what do I do?

Kind regards,

Noor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

That limitation might be there because of product version you are using ... I would assume you would be using 5.0 MP1 or so ?

Not remember exactly but this was sorted out in latest versions to use > 1TB luns ... probably 5.0MP3.

G

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonyGriffiths
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Can you include the following:

- Version of Storage Foundation

- Issue being observed (any error)

- Are the LUNs visible to Solaris

- Arew the LUNs visible to VxVM (vxdisk list)

thanks

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

If you can see the luns in format command ..... you should be able to see them in "vxdisk list" .. make sure you label the disks from format ..

so steps would be:

# devfsadm -Cv

# vxdctl enable

# format   (view the new luns & label them)

# vxdisk -e list    (observe the new luns, they should be in "online invalid" state)

# vxdisksetup -i <diskname>   (will initialize disk in veritas control as cds disk)

# vxdg init <diskgroup> <name>=<disk_name>  (initiate a diskgroup with one or more disks in it)

# vxassist -g <diskgroup> make <volume> <size> (create volume with desired size)

# mkfs -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/<diskgroup>/<volume>  (create filesystem)

# mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/<diskgroup>/<volume>  /<mount_point>

what version of vxvm you are using ? some of older versions may not recognize 1TB disk as cdsdisk ... you may want to setup the same as sliced

# vxdisksetup -i <diskname> format=sliced

G

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your reply.

I have not well understood the issue, but we had to overcome it by assigning 7x850GB LUNs instead of 6x1TB.

VXVM was not able to initiase the 1TB disks with CDS format, the resulting device status was error after initialisation.

Hovewer it works fine with the 850GB disks.

I dont know if it is whether Solaris X86 by default puts such a label on the 1TB and bigger disks that makes VXVM unable to initialise it.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Did u tried initializing the disk as sliced disk ? I am sure it should work for 1TB as well ...

# vxdisksetup -i <diskname> format=sliced

G

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

Hello,

Yes it was working with sliced but the client wanted all the disk to be CDS. Since other disks in the dis groups which were already in production were CDS. Is there any solution yet to address the issue of 1TB disk with CDS?

Thank you for your reply,

N

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

That limitation might be there because of product version you are using ... I would assume you would be using 5.0 MP1 or so ?

Not remember exactly but this was sorted out in latest versions to use > 1TB luns ... probably 5.0MP3.

G