cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing question about tiers and rewards band

Christian_Akess
Level 3

Greetings,

I got a document on my desk with all our Unix and Linux SFHA licenses. My boss asked me to verify that these are active and should be renewed.

To be able to do this I need to know what the license names mean.

These are some of the licenses on the list:

VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA 5.1 UNX PER SERVER TIER A RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS REWARDS BAND C
VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA 5.1 UNX PER SERVER TIER B RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS REWARDS BAND C
VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA 5.1 UNX PER SERVER TIER C RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS REWARDS BAND C
VRTS STORAGE FOUNDATION ENTERPRISE HA 5.1 UNX PER SERVER TIER E RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS REWARDS BAND C

Can anyone tell me what the difference between Tier A, B, C and E is? I've tried to find a document describing this but searching for it just brings up loads of companies trying to sell licenses. It'd be great to know in detail what the difference Tiers mean.
Rewards band isn't that important I guess but it'd be nice to know what it is aswell.

Best Regards,
Christian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Christian,

v245 = A

M4000 = E

M3000 = B

v490 = C

Hope this helps,

Joe D

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Christian,

The server classification for SFHA can range from A-N,  Tier A being the lowest end system (SPARC Solaris v240 for example) vs.a tier N which would be a E25K.  In terms of what specifically these licenses are for, Storage Foundation HA Enterprise comprises Volume Manager, File System, DMP, FlashSnap, Database Accelerators, SmartTier and Veritas Cluster Server (All features except CFS). 

Rewards Band indicates the volume of licenses you have purchased and your associated discount level.  B is higher than A, C is higher than B and so on. No correlation whatsoever to the Server Tier lettering.

You have an A, B, C and E tier license. Between HP-UX, Solaris and AIX there a number of system that would qualify one of the these tiers.  What OS specifically are you interested in?

Thanks,

Joe D

Christian_Akess
Level 3

Thanks for your very informative answer.

All our Unix licenses are for Solaris. SFHA Enterprise is installed on the following hardware:

2x SF v245

2x M4000

1x M3000

6x SF v490

Got any idea what Tier we need to cover these? I have a feeling we need to update some licenses as we bought new hardware during the year.

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Christian,

v245 = A

M4000 = E

M3000 = B

v490 = C

Hope this helps,

Joe D

Christian_Akess
Level 3

I found out we also have two T5120 and one old Sun Fire 420R running SFHA. Any chance you can find out which tier these belong to? Can I find this information somewhere else so that I don't have to bug you with this? :)

Regards

g_lee
Level 6

from this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sfcfs-licensing-tiers-linux

(specifically ScottK's comment: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sfcfs-licensing-tiers-linux#comment-6386801 )

Tool to look up a server tier: https://sort.symantec.com/spvu_calc

(page defaults to per-core, click Server Tier tab to find the tier for your particular model(s))

Christian_Akess
Level 3

Thanks for the info, very helpful!