Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment details

SFHA = 6.1
OS =RHEL 6.3
Primary Site = 2 Nodes
DR Site = 1 node

Agenda

- Suppose Primary site 2 nodes are connected with SAN(SAN1) and also with SAN(SAN2)
- Diskgroup is configured on SAN1
- VVR is also configured from Primary site to DR site
- SAN to SAN replication is also configured between SAN1 and SAN2.
- In case of SAN1 gets down, SAN2 can be mounted(we only need to replace the block device in the mount resource)
  QUESTION#1
  Does any performance impact occur that the Diskgroup's SAN(1) disks are being replicated to DR via VVR as well as being replicated via SAN1 to SAN2  replication ?
  QUESTION#2
  Does Symantec have any objection if we go with the above scenario. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In case of VM mirroring there is no manual work you need to do if primary SAN fails at primary site as the secondary SAN disks of primary site will be a part of Diskgroup so VM just reads mirror on secondary SAN.

Mike

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Haniwa
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Zahid,

Please explain...

What is SAN1 and SAN2, different storage arrays and storage paths, or just paths (ie. SAN transport) ?

What is SAN1 to SAN2 replication method ?

KW

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Any replication may impact performance, so for VVR if you configure as async there there should be no impact to performance if your SRL is as performant as data disks, but if you configure as sync then there is an impact to performance as you have to wait for the data to be sent across the network.  Similarly for array replication, performance may be impacted and if you combine the 2, then the delay in writing will be the bigger of the 2.

I have seen this done in the past and it worked fine.

If want to replicate to a second SAN at your primary site synchronously then I would use volume manager mirroring rather than array replication as then you won't need to change block device of your mounts, so I would only use array replication if you need to use async if your arrays are too far apart to use sync writes.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

Mike

Both ARRAYs are not far at Primary sites.

Zahid_Haseeb

Haniwa

SAN1 and SAN2 are two ARRAYs.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So as in my first post, yes it will work and there maybe be a small impact in performance, and I would use Volume Manager mirroring between the 2 array if you are saying they are not far apart as VM mirroring is free and simpler than array replication as there is no concept of direction of replication and having to make copies RW if primary array fails.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

In case of VM mirroring there should be something(little manual work) we need to do if primary SAN failed at primary site. As the secondary SAN disks of primary site will be a part of Diskgroup on primary site primary SAN.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In case of VM mirroring there is no manual work you need to do if primary SAN fails at primary site as the secondary SAN disks of primary site will be a part of Diskgroup so VM just reads mirror on secondary SAN.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

Oppsss. I got it.