cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remount file system

Lopez_Diaz
Level 4
Hello, I am working with a server with Solaris 8 and Veritas Volume Manager. The server has the /usr encapsulated and as read only. I don't know how to remount it with read/writte permissions.  Here is the example:

mount -v

/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/usr on /usr type ufs read-only/setuid/intr/largefiles/onerror=panic/dev=478b3b0

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If fsck runs clear, try to remount as follows:

mount -F ufs -o rw,remount  /usr

View solution in original post

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

1. Can I run this mount without the Solaris boot disk?  My doubt is if I can remount a file system (/usr) where the commands are located. 

>> Logically yes, my recommendation here (if possible) would be to bring system to single user mode, unencapsulate. boot via cd or other method & run full fsck on slices. If fsck founds it clean, ensure system boots up in unencapsulated mode, encapsulate again. This is a lenghty way to tackle this problem but would be consistent, this will find the errors & fix the problem. You can alternatively attempt a remount but if there are issues at disk layer, this issue may reoccur.

2. The fsck would be an fsck -F ufs  /usr ?

>> yes, first attempt a  fsck -F ufs -n <raw device>, this will tell you what errors are available but won't make any changes to filesystem. If the changes are minimal & FS is in recoverable position, you can replace -n with -y switch & re run fsck.

3. There is a way to verify why this file system changed to read only?

>> you will need to refer to system logs, most likely reason is IO errors on filesystem. Try to look through messages file & find if there are any disk/IO related errors.

G

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If fsck runs clear, try to remount as follows:

mount -F ufs -o rw,remount  /usr

Lopez_Diaz
Level 4

Hello Marianne, 

I have the following questions:

1. Can I run this mount without the Solaris boot disk?  My doubt is if I can remount a file system (/usr) where the commands are located. 

Thanks for you help. I'm new with the Veritas Volume Manager.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

>> Logically yes, my recommendation here (if possible) would be to bring system to single user mode, unencapsulate. boot via cd or other method & run full fsck on slices. If fsck founds it clean, ensure system boots up in unencapsulated mode, encapsulate again. This is a lenghty way to tackle this problem but would be consistent, this will find the errors & fix the problem. You can alternatively attempt a remount but if there are issues at disk layer, this issue may reoccur.

>> yes, first attempt a  fsck -F ufs -n <raw device>, this will tell you what errors are available but won't make any changes to filesystem. If the changes are minimal & FS is in recoverable position, you can replace -n with -y switch & re run fsck.

>> you will need to refer to system logs, most likely reason is IO errors on filesystem. Try to look through messages file & find if there are any disk/IO related errors.

G

Lopez_Diaz
Level 4

The issue was fixed with the fsck -F ufs /usr. Thanks for your help.