Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SF 5.1 SP1 PR2

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi All,

Is the 5.1 SP1 PR2 release only for RHEL6? I have just downloaded these binaries from Fileconnect and after uncompression, I only see RHEL6 folder. Have even tried running it. The script exits saying this release is only for RHEL6. I would go for this since its the baseline plus the upgrade integrated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g_lee
Level 6

per SF 5.1 Service Pack 1 Platform Release 2 release notes ( https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1pr2/linux/productguides/pdf/sf_notes_51sp1pr2_lin.pdf ) p19:

--------------------
Supported Linux operating systems
This section lists the supported operating system for this release of Veritas products.
The Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 SP1 PR2 release supports the following operating system and hardware:
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (RHEL 6) (2.6.32-71.el6 kernel) or later on AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon EM64T (x86_64)
Note: 64-bit operating systems are only supported.
If your system is running an older version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you must upgrade it before attempting to install the Veritas software. Consult the Red Hat documentation for more information on upgrading or reinstalling your system.
--------------------

Further documentation for this release is available under https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/5.1%20SP1%20PR2/Linux/ProductGuides/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

g_lee
Level 6

per SF 5.1 Service Pack 1 Platform Release 2 release notes ( https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1pr2/linux/productguides/pdf/sf_notes_51sp1pr2_lin.pdf ) p19:

--------------------
This section lists the supported operating system for this release of Veritas products.
The Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 SP1 PR2 release supports the following operating system and hardware:
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (RHEL 6) (2.6.32-71.el6 kernel) or later on AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon EM64T (x86_64)
Note: 64-bit operating systems are only supported.
If your system is running an older version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you must upgrade it before attempting to install the Veritas software. Consult the Red Hat documentation for more information on upgrading or reinstalling your system.
--------------------

Further documentation for this release is available under https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/5.1%20SP1%20PR2/Linux/ProductGuides/

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Thanks for that g_lee.

The best part is, I refered to the release notes as well. The only difference is that you reffered to the 5.1SP1 PR2 Storage Foundation release notes and I referred to the SF CFS 5.1 SP1 PR2 release notes. This document (https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1pr2/linux/productguides/pdf/sfcfsrac_notes_51sp1pr2_lin.pdf) on page 18 does not say anything about only supporting RHEL 6.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SFCFS RAC will soon announce support for RHEL 6.
Refer to the following TechNote for the latest information on supported operating systems and Oracle database versions:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44807
Note: Only 64-bit operating systems are supported.
Storage Foundation Cluster File System for Oracle RAC Release Notes
System requirements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can someone clalify the support of SFHA on RHEL5.

The 5.1SP1 release notes support RHEL5 and not 6, and this version was released less than 6 months ago, so someone installing SFHA 5.1 on a new system 6 months ago would have to have used RHEL5.

Is Symantec now saying that customers have to upgrade from RHEL5 to RHEL6 if they want continued support on 5.1?  Surely this cannot be right?

Mike

g_lee
Level 6

... yuck :\ I see what you mean re: not being clear now :(

The SFCFS for RAC release notes do also say to refer to the component notes for software limitations, etc

------------------------------
For information regarding software features, limitations, fixed issues, and known issues of component products:
• Veritas Cluster Server (VCS)
See Veritas Cluster Server Release Notes (5.1 Service Pack 1 Platform Release 2).
• Storage Foundation (SF)
See Veritas Storage Foundation Release Notes (5.1 Service Pack 1 Platform Release 2).
• Storage Foundation Cluster File System (5.1 Service Pack 1 Platform Release 2)
See Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System Release Notes (5.1 Service Pack 1 Platform Release 2).
------------------------------

All three component release notes do mention the RHEL6 version restriction (SF reference in earlier post, VCS p26, SFCFS p25) - so you would think it would have made it into the SFCFS RAC notes as well!

g_lee
Level 6

Mike,

If it helps, the release notes referred to above were specific to SF 5.1 SP1 PR2 ie: 5.1 Service Pack 1 Platform Release 2 - the name (Platform Release) suggests this could be a specific release to support RHEL6?

Obviously technical support would be able to provide a more definitive answer (ie: it would be better to log a case with them if needed absolute certainty, etc).

Hope that helps,

Grace

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Grace,

This is what I thought was probably the case that S5 5.1 PR2 applies only to RHEL6, not that, ONLY RHEL6 is supported from now on.  I guess the wording is a bit poor which says:

If your system is running an older version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you must upgrade it before attempting to install the Veritas software.

But I have not read the release notes, only the replies on this post, so maybe it makes it clear that this patch is purely to "ADD support for RHEL6", not to fix issues with 5.1SP1 running on RHEL5.

Mike

Neeraj_Bhatia
Level 3

5.1 SP1 PR2 was released to add RHEL 6 support. The SF and SFCFS Release Notes mention this in the System Requirements section.The release did not include  RHEL6 support for SFRAC and SFCFS RAC because of a dependency on Oracle RAC supporting on RHEL 6.