cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SF 6.0 does not recognize SF 4.1 Version 120 simple disk?

ursi
Level 4

I am currently preparing to exchange two old SLES 9 systems by new SLES 11 machines. These new ones have SF 6.0 Basic and are able to see and read (dd) the disks currently being in production by the SLES9 systems (SAN FC ones).

The disks are Version 120 originally created and in use by SF4.1:

# vxdisk list isar1_sas_2
Device:    isar1_sas_2
devicetag: isar1_sas_2
type:      simple
hostid:    example4
disk:      name=isar1_sas_2 id=1341261625.7.riser5
group:     name=varemadg id=1339445883.17.riser5
flags:     online ready private foreign autoimport imported
pubpaths:  block=/dev/disk/by-name/isar1_sas_2 char=/dev/disk/by-name/isar1_sas_2
version:   2.1
iosize:    min=512 (bytes) max=1024 (blocks)
public:    slice=0 offset=2049 len=33552383 disk_offset=0
private:   slice=0 offset=1 len=2048 disk_offset=0
update:    time=1372290815 seqno=0.83
ssb:       actual_seqno=0.0
headers:   0 248
configs:   count=1 len=1481
logs:      count=1 len=224
Defined regions:
 config   priv 000017-000247[000231]: copy=01 offset=000000 enabled
 config   priv 000249-001498[001250]: copy=01 offset=000231 enabled
 log      priv 001499-001722[000224]: copy=01 offset=000000 enabled

# vxdg list varemadg | grep version
version:   120

But when I look in the new systems SF6.0 does not recognize the diskgroups at all:

# vxdisk list isar1_sas_2
type:      auto
info:      format=none
flags:     online ready private autoconfig invalid
pubpaths:  block=/dev/vx/dmp/isar1_sas_2 char=/dev/vx/rdmp/isar1_sas_2
guid:      -
udid:      Promise%5FVTrak%20E610f%5F49534520000000000000%5F22C90001557951EC
site:      -

When I am doing a hexdump of the first few sectors it looks pretty much the same on both machines. According to articles like TECH174882 SF6.0 should be more than happy to recognize any disk layout between Version 20 and 170.

Any hints what I might be doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chad_Bersche
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Ursi,

It appears that when moving from a foreign disk to a DMP managed disk, the type changed from defined as 'simple' to 'auto' as shown in your original posting. 

To redefine the DMP devices as simple, rather than auto, you could try:

# vxdisk rm isar1_sas_2
# vxdisk define isar1_sas_2 type=simple
# vxdctl enable

At that point the type should be listed as simple, and you could try to import the diskgroup.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

g_lee
Level 6

What type/model of array is being used?

It appears the disk(s) have been added to the SF4.1 system as a foreign device - so it may be controlled by a TPD not recognised/supported by DMP - so they may need to be added as foreign disks for the 6.0 install to recognise the disk properly?

see DMP 6.0 (Linux) Administrator's Guide -> Administering Disks -> Discovering and configuring newly added disk devices -> How to administer the Device Discovery Layer -> Foreign Devices

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/dmp/6.0/linux/productguides/html/dmp_admin/ch04s02s04s15.htm

----------
Foreign devices

DDL may not be able to discover some devices that are controlled by third-party drivers, such as those that provide multi-pathing or RAM disk capabilities. For these devices it may be preferable to use the multi-pathing capability that is provided by the third-party drivers for some arrays rather than using Dynamic Multi-Pathing (DMP). Such foreign devices can be made available as simple disks to VxVM by using the vxddladm addforeign command. This also has the effect of bypassing DMP for handling I/O. The following example shows how to add entries for block and character devices in the specified directories:

# vxddladm addforeign blockdir=/dev/foo/dsk \
  chardir=/dev/foo/rdsk

If a block or character device is not supported by a driver, it can be omitted from the command as shown here:

# vxddladm addforeign blockdir=/dev/foo/dsk

By default, this command suppresses any entries for matching devices in the OS-maintained device tree that are found by the autodiscovery mechanism. You can override this behavior by using the -f and -n options as described on the vxddladm(1M) manual page.

After adding entries for the foreign devices, use either the vxdisk scandisks or the vxdctl enable command to discover the devices as simple disks. These disks then behave in the same way as autoconfigured disks.

The foreign device feature was introduced in VxVM 4.0 to support non-standard devices such as RAM disks, some solid state disks, and pseudo-devices such as EMC PowerPath.

Foreign device support has the following limitations:

• A foreign device is always considered as a disk with a single path. Unlike an autodiscovered disk, it does not have a DMP node.
• It is not supported for shared disk groups in a clustered environment. Only standalone host systems are supported.
• It is not supported for Persistent Group Reservation (PGR) operations.
• It is not under the control of DMP, so enabling of a failed disk cannot be automatic, and DMP administrative commands are not applicable.
• Enclosure information is not available to VxVM. This can reduce the availability of any disk groups that are created using such devices.
• The I/O Fencing and Cluster File System features are not supported for foreign devices.

If a suitable ASL is available and installed for an array, these limitations are removed.
----------

Note the following known issue from the DMP 6.0 release notes:

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/dmp/6.0/linux/productguides/html/dmp_notes/ch01s08s08.htm

----------
Adding a DMP device or its OS device path as a foreign disk is not supported (2062230)
When DMP native support is enable, adding a DMP device or its OS device path as a foreign disk using the vxddladm addforeign command is not supported. Using this command can lead to unexplained behavior.
----------

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

I agree with previous comment from g_lee

Look at the flags of disk from SLES9 machine

flags:     online ready private foreign autoimport imported   >>> added as foreign device

This may be causing an unexpected behavior to 6.0. Do you have any other array in the environment which can be presented to old systems ?

Also, let us know what array you use & the output of below

# vxddladm listsupport all

# vxddladm listapm all

G

ursi
Level 4

First of all: thank you both for your excellent observation and sorry that I didn't tell the full story here (for brevity). Yes, you are right in SLES 9 we do not use VxDMP since it simply doesn't work.

Befor I dig into details: what do you mean by:

"so it may be controlled by a TPD not recognised/supported by DMP"

The arrays used are Promise VTrack 610fD (Dual Controller, ALUA, 4x 4GBit FC). Since the ALUA feature for these arrays is not correctly handled by all DMP versions it is some kind of real pain - it keeps enabling paths all the time, then recognizing they are not available and disabling them again. It is OK in SF5.1 and 6.0 since there is an ASL for Promise, albeit not with ALUA support, but it did not work in SF 4.x.

In SLES 9 I do use native Linux dm-multipath which seems to work fine and even recognizes ALUA correctly. Those dm-disks had then be added as foreign devices.

In 6.0 (and 5.1) the Promise arrays are recognized by VRTSaslapm

# vxddladm listsupport all
LIBNAME             VID                 PID
=================================================================================================
[...]
libvxpromise.so     Promise             VTrak E610f, VTrak E310f, VTrak E610s, VTrak E310s
[...]

So no need to add those disks as foreign devices:

# vxdmpadm list dmpnode all
[...]
dmpdev          = isar1_sas_2
state           = enabled
enclosure       = promise_e610f0
cab-sno         = 49534520000000000000
asl             = libvxpromise.so
vid             = Promise
pid             = VTrak E610f
array-name      = Promise_E610f
array-type      = A/A
iopolicy        = MinimumQ
avid            = -
lun-sno         = 22C90001557951EC
udid            = Promise%5FVTrak%20E610f%5F49534520000000000000%5F22C90001557951EC
dev-attr        = -
lun_type        = std
scsi3_vpd       = 22C90001557951EC
replicated      = no
num_paths       = 4
###path         = name state type transport ctlr hwpath aportID aportWWN attr
path            = sdac enabled(a) - FC c4 c4 - 26:01:00:01:55:61:23:32 -
path            = sdt enabled(a) - FC c3 c3 - 26:02:00:01:55:61:23:32 -
path            = sdk enabled(a) - FC c3 c3 - 26:00:00:01:55:61:23:32 -
path            = sdaf enabled(a) - FC c4 c4 - 26:03:00:01:55:61:23:32 -

I had a feeling that those different multipathing layers might maybe shift some sectors/blocks/bytes at the beginning of the disk so it looks different but as said above when looking at a hexdump it looks the same from both machines.

Of course I could try disabling DMP again and switching back to dm-multipath even for SF6.0 but of course I would like to stick with it :(

g_lee
Level 6

so it may be controlled by a TPD not recognised/supported by DMP

The disks are controlled by a Third Party [multipathing] Driver on SLES9/SF 4.1 (dm-multipath) ie: not DMP - because as you said, DMP does not support ALUA so it disables the inactive paths all the time.

Above, you've mentioned the array is a Promise VTrack 610fD and it's ALUA

Although SF 6.0 does have an ASL for Promise arrays, it's only for the following models/arrays:

VTrak E610f, VTrak E310f, VTrak E610s, VTrak E310s

and the supported mode is A/A not ALUA

ref: https://sort.symantec.com/asl/details/605 (6.0) and https://sort.symantec.com/asl/details/635 (6.0.1)

So it appears your particular array is still not supported for 6.0 yet, as it's not listed, and it's ALUA not A/A

You may want to log a support call to see if there is an updated/separate ASL that can be downloaded for SLES11/SF6.0 as the ASL page is not always 100% up to date - however if there is not, then it appears you will need to use a different multipathing solution and either use DMP on top (if it coexists - see DMP administrator's guide -> Administering disks -> Discovering and configuring newly added disk devices -> Third-party driver coexistence), or add as foreign devices again to use this array on 6.0

Daniel_Matheus
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you provide output of the following commands?

#vxdisk -oalldgs list

#vxddladm listforeign

#/etc/vx/bin/vxprtvtoc /dev/vx/rdsk/<diskname>

If there are any free disks on that array, can you try to initialize them on the new machine?

#vxdisksetup -i <diskdevice>

ursi
Level 4

Hello g_lee,

sorry, I have been away for a week.

No, it is not solved of course. It would be solved, if that would be an official support call and than of course the correct answer would be "not supported".

Unfortunately we do neither have the money to only implement fully supported solutions nor to pay for full support; hence this community question :).

Our productive and fully licensed SF5.1 runs somewhat perfectly with those Promise Arrays despite DMP might hate me for being constantly fiddling on the paths but I am pretty relaxed with that :).

I have a feeling Symantec will not enhance libvxpromise.so for me albeit it would seem reasonable since Promise DOES NOT work in A/A mode. Of course you can enable that but it dimishes the performance down to 5% and Promise strongly recommends to only use ALUA. So writing a Promise ASL with A/A does not make any sense at all.

g_lee
Level 6

ursi,

The Community Manager marked this as solved as your question was "Why doesn't SF 6.0 recognize SF 4.1 Version 120 simple disk?", and the answer provided was that the configuration is not supported (non-supported array model and mode), so the options given were:

- add the disk as foreign disk

- log support case and check if there's an updated ASL, and/or log a request/RFE to see if support can be added for the model/mode being used.

So in that sense it is "solved", as it explains why the disk isn't being recognised, and provides you with a workaround. Evidently you don't like this answer as it doesn't help you use the LUNs from this array with SF6.0; however as the doc points to it not being supported, there's not much else that can be done without engaging Symantec support in some fashion.

I cannot comment as to why the ASL supports A/A when Promise recommends ALUA - I will contact the Community Manager to see if she can get in touch with someone from the product mgt side to see if ALUA support is on the roadmap; there may be vendor/other constraints that might be preventing this, so there are no guarantees, but we can at least ask.

regards,

Grace

Kimberley
Level 6
Partner

Hi @ursi and Grace, 

First off, Grace, thanks for bringing this to my attention, and @ursi, my apologies for marking solved - I've cleared the solution marker. 

I am also forwarding this thread to our Product Management team, and see if they can add any assistance here.

Best,

Kimberley

ursi
Level 4

@Kimberley: Thank you for forwarding that, I do really appreciate this :)

@Daniel:

To me SF6.0 seems to work fine. I can see disks initialized with SF5.1 (I just maped one for testing) and initialize new discs. Of course the SF5.1 ones had been made with VxDMP ...

# vxdisk -o alldgs list
DEVICE       TYPE            DISK         GROUP        STATUS
isar1_sas_2  auto:none       -            -            online invalid
isar1_sas_3  auto:none       -            -            online invalid
isar1_sas_5  auto:none       -            -            online invalid
isar1_sas2_1 auto:none       -            -            online invalid
isar2_sas_2  auto:none       -            -            online invalid
isar2_sas_3  auto:none       -            -            online invalid
isar2_sas_5  auto:none       -            -            online invalid
isar2_sas2_1 auto:none       -            -            online invalid
promise_e610f0_8 auto:none       -            -            online invalid
promise_e610f0_9 auto:sliced     -            (testdg)     online media_mismatch

# /opt/VRTS/bin/vxdisksetup -ie promise_e610f0_8 format=sliced
# vxdisk list promise_e610f0_8
Device:    promise_e610f0_8
devicetag: promise_e610f0_8
hostid:    
disk:      name= id=1383161879.13.ema1
group:     name= id=
info:      format=sliced,privoffset=1,pubslice=6,privslice=5
flags:     online ready private autoconfig autoimport
pubpaths:  block=/dev/vx/dmp/promise_e610f0_8s6 char=/dev/vx/rdmp/promise_e610f0_8s6
privpaths: block=/dev/vx/dmp/promise_e610f0_8s5 char=/dev/vx/rdmp/promise_e610f0_8s5
udid:      Promise%5FVTrak%20E610f%5F49534520000000000000%5F229B000155DA58FA
iosize:    min=512 (bytes) max=2048 (blocks)
public:    slice=6 offset=0 len=2026481 disk_offset=305
private:   slice=5 offset=1 len=65562 disk_offset=2026847
update:    time=1383161879 seqno=0.2
configs:   count=1 len=51598
logs:      count=1 len=4096
Defined regions:
 config   priv 000017-000247[000231]: copy=01 offset=000000 disabled
 config   priv 000249-051615[051367]: copy=01 offset=000231 disabled
 log      priv 051616-055711[004096]: copy=01 offset=000000 disabled
Multipathing information:
numpaths:   4
sdak            state=disabled
sdah            state=enabled
sdai            state=disabled
sdaj            state=enabled

# vxdisk list promise_e610f0_9
Device:    promise_e610f0_9
devicetag: promise_e610f0_9
hostid:    salt
disk:      name= id=1337420728.46.salt
group:     name=testdg id=1342568457.43.salt
info:      format=sliced,privoffset=1,pubslice=6,privslice=5
[...]

Concerning your other questions above there are no foreign devices on the SF6.0 machine since they are only foreign on SF4.x:

# vxddladm listforeign

The Paths included are
-----------------------

Based on Directory names:
-----------------------

Based on Full Path:
--------------------

# fdisk -l /dev/vx/dmp/promise_e610f0_8

Disk /dev/vx/dmp/promise_e610f0_8: 1073 MB, 1073741824 bytes
34 heads, 61 sectors/track, 1011 cylinders, total 2097152 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0002414e

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/vx/dmp/promise_e610f0_8p4              61     2092665     1046302+   5  Extended
/dev/vx/dmp/promise_e610f0_8p5         2026847     2092665       32909+  7f  Unknown
/dev/vx/dmp/promise_e610f0_8p6             305     2026785     1013240+  7e  Unknown

Partition table entries are not in disk order

# fdisk -l /dev/vx/dmp/isar1_sas_2

Disk /dev/vx/dmp/isar1_sas_2: 17.2 GB, 17179869184 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 16384 cylinders, total 33554432 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

So maybe it is the simple disc that puzzles SF6.x. I cannot remember why I did simple ones, but I assume that I had some reason for this.

ursi
Level 4

hmmm ... the reason that I had on 4.x seems to be that nothing besides "simple" seems to work. vxdisk refuses to take anything besides simple and does simple as default and vdisksetup seems to be unable to understand foreign devices (it always looks into the VxDMP direcotory):

# /etc/vx/bin/vxdisksetup -i isar1_ematest2 format=sliced
VxVM ERROR V-5-3-000: Can't open device /dev/vx/dmp/isar1_ematest2

# vxdisk init isar1_ematest2 type=sliced
VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device isar1_ematest2: init failed:
        Attribute cannot be changed with a reinit

# vxdisk -f init isar1_ematest2 type=cdsdisk
VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device isar1_ematest2: init failed:
        Attribute cannot be changed with a reinit

# vxdisk -f init isar1_ematest2 type=simple
# vxdisk list isar1_ematest2
Device:    isar1_ematest2
devicetag: isar1_ematest2

So I had to do simple ...

Anyway, if we cannot solve this I simply have to copy the data onto new disks but I still do no understand where the problem might be located which hinders 6.x from recognizing these discs.

g_lee
Level 6

ursi,

From the initial response here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sf-60-does-not-recognize-sf-41-version-120-simple-disk#comment-9333761

(bold added for emphasis since it was obviously missed initially)

Foreign devices

DDL may not be able to discover some devices that are controlled by third-party drivers, such as those that provide multi-pathing or RAM disk capabilities. For these devices it may be preferable to use the multi-pathing capability that is provided by the third-party drivers for some arrays rather than using Dynamic Multi-Pathing (DMP). Such foreign devices can be made available as simple disks to VxVM by using the vxddladm addforeign command. This also has the effect of bypassing DMP for handling I/O. The following example shows how to add entries for block and character devices in the specified directories:

# vxddladm addforeign blockdir=/dev/foo/dsk \
  chardir=/dev/foo/rdsk

If a block or character device is not supported by a driver, it can be omitted from the command as shown here:

# vxddladm addforeign blockdir=/dev/foo/dsk

By default, this command suppresses any entries for matching devices in the OS-maintained device tree that are found by the autodiscovery mechanism. You can override this behavior by using the -f and -n options as described on the vxddladm(1M) manual page.

After adding entries for the foreign devices, use either the vxdisk scandisks or the vxdctl enable command to discover the devices as simple disks. These disks then behave in the same way as autoconfigured disks.

ie: the disks have been added as foreign devices on SF4.0, so this is why they're only available as simple disks.

simple is a valid format for SF6.0 - the issue is still probably with the DDL/ASL issues mentioned earlier.

edit: you mentioned the disks do work with DMP on SF5.1, however you also hinted some manual intervention/changes seems to have been required to get this working:

Our productive and fully licensed SF5.1 runs somewhat perfectly with those Promise Arrays despite DMP might hate me for being constantly fiddling on the paths but I am pretty relaxed with that :).

What "fiddling" has/is being done on the 5.1 system that differs/allows it to "work"?

ursi
Level 4

Yes, i do fully understand I could completely drop VxDMP and add those disks as foreign devices, but this still does not answer my question WHY the VxVM layer is unable to recognize those discs.

Those discs are fully accessible via DMP so I do __not__ suspect DMP to be the problem.

Is there any way to debug VxVM's disc-scanning feature? Maybe debuging vxconfigd?

smiley no no --- no fiddling at all for the sliced SF 5.1 disks they simply do work as expected.

ursi
Level 4

might be this one:

10/31 14:06:37:  VxVM vxconfigd DEBUG  V-5-1-19067 vold_disk_check_udid_mismatch: Device isar1_sas_2 is invalid, can't get UDID attribute

g_lee
Level 6

Not sure how many more ways it's possible to say: unsupported configuration = unpredictable/unexpected/unintended results (hence: not supported).

see if there's a response from support/PM team.

ursi
Level 4

g_lee please excuse me for being rude, but I am not interested in your "being unsupported" answers. I am trying to technically understand how VxVM scans new disks and what does it hinder to recognize those. I can perfectly circumvent the problem but since I am always consulting very big customers using SF I am interested in getting down to to real reasn for any such problem.

Sorry.

g_lee
Level 6

see: Device Discovery Layer (DDL)

[edited to remove links]

Chad_Bersche
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Ursi,

It appears that when moving from a foreign disk to a DMP managed disk, the type changed from defined as 'simple' to 'auto' as shown in your original posting. 

To redefine the DMP devices as simple, rather than auto, you could try:

# vxdisk rm isar1_sas_2
# vxdisk define isar1_sas_2 type=simple
# vxdctl enable

At that point the type should be listed as simple, and you could try to import the diskgroup.

ursi
Level 4

Chad,

I am astonished. Unbelievable. I didn't take any notice of that TYPE field in the vxdisk list. I always thought VxVM would recognize the disk type during disk-scanning and judge the right type based on some magical algorythm. Seems it doesn't :).

ema1:~ # vxdisk list
isar1_sas_2  auto:none       -            -            online invalid
[...]

ema1:~ # vxdisk rm isar1_sas_2
ema1:~ # vxdisk define isar1_sas_2 type=simple
ema1:~ # vxdctl enable
ema1:~ # vxdisk -o alldgs list
isar1_sas_2  simple          -            (varemadg)   online

ema1:~ # vxdisk list isar1_sas_2
hostid:    riser4
disk:      name= id=1341261625.7.riser5
group:     name=varemadg id=1339445883.17.riser5
info:      privoffset=1
flags:     online ready private autoimport
pubpaths:  block=/dev/vx/dmp/isar1_sas_2 char=/dev/vx/rdmp/isar1_sas_2
udid:      Promise%5FVTrak%20E610f%5F49534520000000000000%5F22C90001557951EC
iosize:    min=512 (bytes) max=2048 (blocks)
public:    slice=0 offset=2049 len=33552383 disk_offset=0
private:   slice=0 offset=1 len=2048 disk_offset=0
update:    time=1372290815 seqno=0.83
configs:   count=1 len=1481
logs:      count=1 len=224
Defined regions:
 config   priv 000017-000247[000231]: copy=01 offset=000000 enabled
 config   priv 000249-001498[001250]: copy=01 offset=000231 enabled
 log      priv 001499-001722[000224]: copy=01 offset=000000 enabled
Multipathing information: