Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Preferred Platform

Bernard_BCE
Not applicable
Employee

Hello,

I have a question from a customer that I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about this.

I understand Symantec is shifting preferred platform support away from Solaris over to Linux – specifically Red Hat, as I understand.  What is the support for Oracle Linux 6.x, either with the Oracle Unbreakable kernel or the Red Hat compatible kernel?  As I understand from Oracle, Oracle Linux 6.x with the Red Hat compatible kernel is almost the same as a native Red Hat 6.x OS.  Oracle is also willing to have discussions with vendors that do not support Oracle Linux, but do have support for Red Hat.

And, when would you have general support for Oracle Linux as a primary platform?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Bernard,

One of our most prominent value propositions is how our technology is ubiquitous across all major OS providers and most Virtualization Hypervisors (with an emphasis on minimal platform specific differences). 

In terms of a "Preferred Platform," the answer to that will always be driven by the IT consumer base as a whole. We continue to provide our Storage and Availability products irrespective of the Operating System and will continue to support those heterogeneous environments. 

That said, I would be remiss if I didn't point out the undeniable shift from a legacy UNIX approach to a more Linux-focused deployment model.  Our file system alone is huge driving force behind these types of migrations.  However, that doesn't mean we are in anyway abandoning our traditional Solaris, AIX and HP-UX footprint.  We continue to innovate on those platforms as well. 

In terms of our Red Hat/OEL support, as long as you use the RHEL Compatible kernel (/etc/grub.conf) we will provide support for our SFHA stack.  We today support RHEL 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 (and the corresponding OEL Editions).

Hope this helps,

Joe D

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There are no official document that mentions preferred platform.

For now, Symatec supports Oracle enterprise Linux with generic kernel as well as far as they keep compatibility with RHEL. Oracle Unbreakable Kernel is not supported for years, so I think Symantec does not prefer it.

See the link below, and consider to submit enhance request if needed. http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO38237

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Bernard,

One of our most prominent value propositions is how our technology is ubiquitous across all major OS providers and most Virtualization Hypervisors (with an emphasis on minimal platform specific differences). 

In terms of a "Preferred Platform," the answer to that will always be driven by the IT consumer base as a whole. We continue to provide our Storage and Availability products irrespective of the Operating System and will continue to support those heterogeneous environments. 

That said, I would be remiss if I didn't point out the undeniable shift from a legacy UNIX approach to a more Linux-focused deployment model.  Our file system alone is huge driving force behind these types of migrations.  However, that doesn't mean we are in anyway abandoning our traditional Solaris, AIX and HP-UX footprint.  We continue to innovate on those platforms as well. 

In terms of our Red Hat/OEL support, as long as you use the RHEL Compatible kernel (/etc/grub.conf) we will provide support for our SFHA stack.  We today support RHEL 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 (and the corresponding OEL Editions).

Hope this helps,

Joe D