Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to mirror devices due to disk offset issues

yairza7
Level 2
Partner

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a storage migration project.

I'm moving volumes from one storage system to another with mirroring.

The OS is Solaris 10 update 11 and Storage Foundation version is 6.1 (latest patch level).

While trying to mirror between two disk devices using vxdiskadm I get the following error:

VxVM  ERROR V-5-1-16954  Cannot change the geometry since cylsize 7680 has to be multiple of original cylsize 6416  VxVM  ERROR V-5-2-673 Mirroring of disk disk01 failed.

Error:

VxVM vxmirror ERROR V-5-2-6145  The mirror disk geometry cannot be changed. Exiting.

I tried to reinitialize the destination disk (disk02) with the following command to match the same offset of disk01:

/etc/vx/bin/vxdisksetup -i disk02 format=sliced privoffset=7680

The issue is that the offset I get is always rounded up to the nearest multiplier of 6416, so for the command above I got an offset of 12832, which results in the same error I originally got.

Is there any way to perform a mirror between those two devices?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. 
Yair 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

yairza7
Level 2
Partner

For anyone who might encounter such an issue, the solution currently is to use the following command:

vxassist -g <dg_name> mirror <vol_name> <new_lun1> <new_lun2>...<new_lunN> layout=mirror-concat,nodiskalign

The solution was found after trying to run vxassist mirror command and encountering the issue described in this technote:

vxassist -g bana-oltp-arch-dg mirror bana-oltp-arch-vol layout=mirror-concat,nodiskalign

Yair

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

yairza7
Level 2
Partner

For anyone who might encounter such an issue, the solution currently is to use the following command:

vxassist -g <dg_name> mirror <vol_name> <new_lun1> <new_lun2>...<new_lunN> layout=mirror-concat,nodiskalign

The solution was found after trying to run vxassist mirror command and encountering the issue described in this technote:

vxassist -g bana-oltp-arch-dg mirror bana-oltp-arch-vol layout=mirror-concat,nodiskalign

Yair