Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of 2-node VCS to Stroage Foundation Sutie 5.0 MP3

Mikerson
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

We are going to perform an upgarde of a existing 2-nodes VCS server from exsting VM 4.1 MP1, VCS ver 3.5 , to Storage Foundation Suite 5.0 MP3. (SF-HA 5.0 MP3)
We are going to perform the following: 

1. Upgrade the the VM4.1 MP1 to VM4.1 MP2 on one node at a time.
2. From the installation CD, directly upgrade the SF-HA to SF-HA 5.0 MP3 on both nodes at the same time
3. Up the services.

Would like to know : 
1. Is it perferred  to upgrade SF-HA one node at a time, leaving the other node as production for some time before upgrading or we need to upgrade both nodes at the same time? What may be the estimate time required to perfrom the upgrade on a node?

2. What other areas of concerns which we need to look at?

Hope to hear the reply soon.

cheeer,
Mikerson

1 REPLY 1

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hi Mikerson,

As what I usually see, selecting how many nodes to upgrade is purely at the downtime availability. So if this is a production site, & you will get a crunchy window, better to prefer one node at a time, else can go for both the nodes.

Getting one node at time gives you flexibility of roll back since you always have one node which is running good & can serve production, however very little downtime would be needed.

Regrading how much time needed, what is server hardware you have ? how much is memory ?  It is not possible to determine exact time which can be consumed, but roughly by experience I say, going from 4.1MP1- MP2 will need atleast 30 mins (on v490 server) & further upgrade to MP3 will need another 45 mins approx, to be on safer side consider an hour for MP2 - 5.0MP3.

Other concerns, get your server checked with VIAS tool to see if you have any other slags reported, VIAS is Veritas Installation & Assesment tool which can guide you to check if you are missing with any pre-requisites. visit https://vias.symantec.com for more details,

5.0MP3 is peculiar about patches, so make sure you read release notes & have all the pre-requisite patches installed..

I hope this helps

Gaurav