cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of server

sverrewl
Level 3

Hi all !

I have some outdated RHEL5 installations with older vxfs 5.xx on. Some weeks back I popped out one of the mirrored OS disks and installed both RHEL7 and vxfs 6.2.1. I found no way to mount the old filsystems after the installation was done. No devices under /dev/vx/dsk or /dev/vx/rdsk. I could see the disks with 'vxdisk list' and the older diskgroups with vxdg ( don't remember the exact syntax I used ). Disk layout was already 7 on all filsystems, wich seems to be supported in 6.2.1.

At this moment - I felt lost, wasn't going to risk loosing any of the data by experimenting. So, I reverted the changes and booted up in RHEL5 again.

I'm quite sure that the task above could be solved - could someone please point me in the right direction ?

/Sverre.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Before mounting you need to import diskgroups and start volumes - when you import diskgroups, this is when you see the deivce path in /dev/vx/dsk , so next time:

Run the following to check you see the disks and diskgroups:

vxdisk -o alldgs list

If the diskgroups are in brackets, then you need to import using:

vxdg import dgname  (may need "-C" flag if it says diskgroup is owned by someone else)

Check volumes are starting using:

vxprint -v

If volumes show as disabled, then start them using:

vxrecover -sg dgname

Now devices should be visable in /dev/vx/dsk and you should be able to mount.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Please clarify what you did here in more detail "Some weeks back I popped out one of the mirrored OS disks and installed both RHEL7 and vxfs 6.2.1."

Did you put the OS disk in another server, then installed RHEL7, and then SF 6.2.1?

sverrewl
Level 3

Hi !

Ah - sorry. Well, this is a HP blade server - with mirrored OS disks. So, I did a shutdown of the server - pulled out one of the mirrored OS disks, breaking the working mirror, and installed RHEL7 and vxfs. So, all SAN disk devices should be the same.

/Sverre.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ah ok, so basically you attached the SAN drives to a new OS. There is no reason that you should not be able to use the drives. If there were no devices under /dev/vx/ then you might have an issue with the ASL/DMP.

Some more information (from that install) would have been nice :)

sverrewl
Level 3

Installed RHEL 7.0 - minimal - since I knew that the installer didn't work on 7.1. Installed the required packages : yum install glibc.i686 pcre.i686 pcre xz-libs.i686 xz-libs nss-softokn-freebl.i686 nss-softokn-freebl \ systemd-libs.i686 systemd-libs libstdc++.i686 libgcc.i686 pam.i686 pam libacl.i686 glibc bc \ policycoreutils parted libgcc libstdc++ findutils ncurses-libs ed coreutils kmod net-tools Installed vxfs 6.2.0 Did a server upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 reboot Installed 6.2.1 ( fs-rhel7_x86_64-Patch-6.2.1.100, sfha-rhel7_x86_64-MR-6.2.1, cpi-Patch-6.2.1.300 )

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Before mounting you need to import diskgroups and start volumes - when you import diskgroups, this is when you see the deivce path in /dev/vx/dsk , so next time:

Run the following to check you see the disks and diskgroups:

vxdisk -o alldgs list

If the diskgroups are in brackets, then you need to import using:

vxdg import dgname  (may need "-C" flag if it says diskgroup is owned by someone else)

Check volumes are starting using:

vxprint -v

If volumes show as disabled, then start them using:

vxrecover -sg dgname

Now devices should be visable in /dev/vx/dsk and you should be able to mount.

Mike

sverrewl
Level 3

Ah - great - this sounds like a solution. There is a lot of data - so I'll emulate the procedure you are suggesting on some other hardware.

Thanks in advance !

/Sverre.

Update : Worked as suggested !