cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading 3.5 to 4.1 or 5.x on Solaris 8.

tqk
Level 2
I've been asked to look into our options.  We need to know how much life 4.1 has in it. Will it be supported for a few years to come, or do we need to bite the bullet and jump to 5.x?

This is about Veritas Foundation Suite which included VxFS and VVM. We don't need Cluster. We don't need Oracle RAC. I'm guessing we need foundation basic.  This is for two dual CPU servers.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Blue_Lang
Level 3
you should always go with the latest code, imo. you can check out SFBasic for free to see if it meets your needs:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/theme.jsp?themeid=sfbasic

tqk
Level 2
While some believe the latest code is the best, others argue the latest is the least tested and comes with its own brand new set of bugs.

We're trying to minimize disruption in the overall system.  We have 3.5 deployed and we're buying support (so I've been told).  They desire to upgrade 3.5 to 4.1 if 4.1 support will continue for a few years.  If support for 4.1 runs out (eg.) 1Jan2008, obviously we'll be going to 5.x instead.

When is 4.1 support expected to run out?

SJP
Level 3
Hi,

The following link shows support/release details and when they go EOL for Storage Foundation (vxvm and vxfs)

If you're looking at 4.1 - you dont have much time left by the looks of things - 31/12/2008 is the date for EOL.

3.5 went EOL in 2006 by the looks of things.

Hope it helps.