Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXVM cannot detect IBM DS5020 LUNs

pgm10s
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Hello

I  installed & Configured the SF5.1 to AIX6.1 server.  After reboot I use vxdisk list , but I canot see the External Disks that come from IBM DS5020 storage.
I notice that the mutipath are MPIO. But in the technote tell that it must use RDAC with DS5020 for VXVM.
    So anyone know how to disable MPIO and use RDAC instead. Or other way to make VXVM can detect DS5020 disks\

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgm10s
Level 5
Hello
  The problem is solved , Veritas TSE give me a set og command to disable IBM array.

-  vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxibmds4k.so  
        -  vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxibmds6k.so  
        -  vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxibmds8k.so  
        -  vxconfigd -k -x syslog  --> restart service

Thank you everybody.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dev_Roy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
As you are aware that the RDAC package is an IBM multi-path device  driver that provides controller-failover support when a failure occurs anywhere along the FibreChannel I/O path. Please get in touch with IBM in order to configure the same.

g_lee
Level 6
The 5.1 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) isn't showing the DS5020 as a supported array for AIX - which suggests this isn't supported, unless there is a technote that supercedes the HCL

Hardware Compatibility List for Veritas Storage Foundation (tm) and High Availability Solutions 5.1 (including SFCFS for Oracle RAC for RHEL, SLES and OEL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/330441

If there is a technote/document indicating that it's supported using RDAC instead of MPIO, then follow IBM's instructions to disable MPIO and install/configure RDAC (along with any other required steps specified in the technote).

Edit: it was pointed out that the HW technote does list the DS5xxx as being supported using RDAC
Veritas Storage Foundation (tm) and High Availability Solutions Hardware TechNote for 5.0 MP1 and 5.0 MP3 (AIX, Solaris), 5.0 MP1 and 5.0 MP2 (HPUX) and 5.0MP2, 5.0MP3 (Linux), 5.1 (AIX, Linux, Solaris)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/283282

Per Dev's post below, as MPIO and RDAC are IBM products, contact IBM/refer to IBM's documentation to configure these components.

pgm10s
Level 5
Hi

Thank you for the reply

I found in the technote that RDAC with DS5020 is support with SF5.1. That mean Symantec has tested these solution? Because IBM indicates in their redbook that DS5020 that connect to AIX host must use MPIO only. The RDAC is no longer support with DS5000.
   So I try to ask 2-3 IBM engineers, all of them say that we cannot disable/remove MPIO on AIX. I wonder that Symantec lab has tested to disable/remove MPIO on AIX successfully. If that the case I will ask symantec how to do that.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

pgm10s
Level 5
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1551260&page=7

I found the way to chabge MPIO  <-> RDAC drivers

Hope this will be worked.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

Not sure if this would work, but did you tried adding your array as a JBOD to VxVM ?

First findout the VID & PID of the device by running a inq on your raw device

# vxdmpinq /dev/hdiskxx    (vxdmpinq could be found in /etc/vx/diag.d or /usr/lib/vxvm/diag.d, find it)

once you get VID & PID, use following

# vxddladm addjbod  VID=xxxx  PID=xxxx

Once done, run

# vxdctl enable

Quite possible you see disks after this..

Gaurav

pgm10s
Level 5
Hello
  The problem is solved , Veritas TSE give me a set og command to disable IBM array.

-  vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxibmds4k.so  
        -  vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxibmds6k.so  
        -  vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxibmds8k.so  
        -  vxconfigd -k -x syslog  --> restart service

Thank you everybody.