cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versions of Veritas Volume manager

harshman1958
Level 3

I am running Verias Volume manager on HPUX, version is B.05.10.01.  There is embedded java that is version 1.6.0.06.  Is there a more recent version that would bump up my Java to a higher version?

Thanks

Also, removing the embedded java would work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

The packages you have listed are use for Veritas Enterprise Administrator which is a GUI to manage veritas volume manager components.

To be honest my belief is nothing will happen to systems if you remove these packages as you can still manage vxvm by command line but I do agree with previous comment that this may not be a good recommendation as you may fileset issues later if you want to upgrade product.

It will be best to contact HP in this case as base vxvm was provided bundled with HPUX, they may help you with procedure to upgrade Java with keeping all dependencies of java intact.

G

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

If I remember correctly VRTSjre & VRTSjre15 got obsolete from 5.1 so I doubt if you find updated version..  How do u manage VCS, do you use java console or VOM ?

If you are purely managing VCS via command line, removing java shouldn't hamper VCS functionality.

G

harshman1958
Level 3

i've only been in my current position two months, and so far we haven't managed VCS at all.  It's a fairly stable environment.  Can you tell me how I can easliy remove if not using?

thanks

rsharma1
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

You seem to referring to the HP-OEM version of vxvm (Base-vxvm). JRE will be embedded with VRTSob and VRTSobgui filesets:  

swlist -a fileset Base-VXVM| grep obgui

You may remove it by simply using swremove but it is not advisibale removing filesets from the base packages as you risk facing other issues due to missing filesets later (incase of vxvm upgrades/patching or even OS upgrade). If you look at /opt/VRTSob/, you get the jre folder that may be replaced with new version. However this should only be done if you have a procedure validated by HP that would ensure compatibility with new version jre and the rest of the OEM packages and OS.

What is the output of: swlist| egrep 'vxvm|VRTSvcs'

harshman1958
Level 3

see below

VRTSobgui 3.4.20.0 Veritas Enterprise Administrator

VRTSobgui.VEA-FILESET 3.4.20.0 Veritas Enterprise Administrator Fileset

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

The packages you have listed are use for Veritas Enterprise Administrator which is a GUI to manage veritas volume manager components.

To be honest my belief is nothing will happen to systems if you remove these packages as you can still manage vxvm by command line but I do agree with previous comment that this may not be a good recommendation as you may fileset issues later if you want to upgrade product.

It will be best to contact HP in this case as base vxvm was provided bundled with HPUX, they may help you with procedure to upgrade Java with keeping all dependencies of java intact.

G

harshman1958
Level 3

Thanks for the good information.