cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxVM queries

YC
Level 4

Hi,

We have Solaris 10 supported by VxVm 5.0 as client and media server. To backup the client, there will be a storage replication first then the media server will mount the file systems for backup.

There is a requirement to upgrade the VxVM to 5.1 due to storage migration.

Can the media server that is supported by VxVM 5.0 interoperate with the client that is supported by VxVM 5.1? 

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As long as your diskgroup and file system version higher than what the media server supports it will work fine.

After upgrades (mostly version upgrades) one has the option to upgrade the diskgroup/vxfs filesytem versions to get access to new features). 

vxdg list | grep version

fstyp -v /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/volname | grep version

Correct me that lower version of VxVM 5.0 (media server) supports VxVM 5.1 (client)?

Marianne

As per Riaan's post - as long as you do not upgrade the diskgroup and/or filesystem versions on the client.

Best to upgrade VxVM on the media server as support for 5.0 ended long time ago.
See: https://sort.veritas.com/eosl/show_matrix 

Hi,

Sorry, I don't quite understand, please enlighten me:

RiaanBadenhorst:

As long as your diskgroup and file system version higher than what the media server supports it will work fine.

Marianne:

As per Riaan's post - as long as you do not upgrade the diskgroup and/or filesystem versions on the client.

Hi,

Sorry, I don't quite understand. Extracted below for your enlightenment:

RiaanBadenhorst:

Marianne:

Marianne
The diskgroup and filesystem version should not be upgraded on the client.
The moment this is done, the media server can no longer import/mount the dg/ filesystem.
But if memory serves me right, VxFS filesystem is automatically upgraded 1st time filesystem is mounted after the upgrade.

Please upgrade VxVM on media server ASAP as 5.0 is no longer supported.