cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between SFCFS and SFCFSHA ?

przemol
Level 4

Hi all,

we are thinking of cluster file system. I used SF for Oracle before (about 2 years ago) and have a look at cluster filesystem solutions from Symantec.

I found that there are two solutions with cluster file system (am I right there are two ?):

Symantec Storage Foundation Cluster File System (SFCFS)

Symantec Storage Foundation Cluster File System HA (SFCFSHA)

And a few questions:

• what is the difference between this two ?
  • is veritas cluster filesystem active-active or active-passive ?

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

As the name suggests, SFCFSHA comes with a HA component i.e VCS while SFCFS without HA will not have VCS functionality.

Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System High Availability includes Veritas Cluster Server, which adds high availability functionality to the product.

Veritas Cluster Filesystem is A/A i.e you can import veritas volume manager diskgroups on multiple nodes (with shared storage) & mount filesystems from it.

G

View solution in original post

sjzedalis
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Hi, you are right that this was confusing and the two SKU's differed mostly by intended use case rather than the bits installed. So, I believe if you check now, there is only one SKU, that for SFCFSHA, SFCFS was dropped a couple releases ago. We don't care if you use it for application failover or not.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

As the name suggests, SFCFSHA comes with a HA component i.e VCS while SFCFS without HA will not have VCS functionality.

Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System High Availability includes Veritas Cluster Server, which adds high availability functionality to the product.

Veritas Cluster Filesystem is A/A i.e you can import veritas volume manager diskgroups on multiple nodes (with shared storage) & mount filesystems from it.

G

spin999
Level 3
Employee Accredited

One other point is that you can't purchase SF CFS.  SF CFS includes HA because you would never have a clustered file system without clustering some kind of workload.  Also, I believe that from a price perspective SF HA Enterprise is similar in price to SF CFS HA so you are better off going with SF CFS HA.  However, I would validate that with a local partner.

Hope that helps.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Agree, so once you download the product bundle, complete suite will come. It will depend on license as well what product gets activated.

G

sjzedalis
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Hi, you are right that this was confusing and the two SKU's differed mostly by intended use case rather than the bits installed. So, I believe if you check now, there is only one SKU, that for SFCFSHA, SFCFS was dropped a couple releases ago. We don't care if you use it for application failover or not.

przemol
Level 4

So to use just CFS we need to install the entire stack but activate particular components using license codes ?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is no option to use just CFS anymore - to clarify.

In the past there was SFCFS and SFCFSHA which had the same components, but in SCFS you were not allowed to create failover service groups - the software didn't stop you doing this, it was just a license restriction that was not enforced.  Now you cannot get just SFCFS so if you want just want parallel groups containing CFS mounts, then you need SFCFSHA.  As someone else pointed out, I believe SFHA and SFCFSHA are the same price.

Mike