cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between sfha, vm & fs titled rolling patch for SFHA

Faisal_Saleem
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have one of the enviorment of SFHA 5.0MP3, I am planning to upgrade 5.0MP3RP3 on RedHat 5.3 64 Bit

while searching for patch of RP3, i found three rolling patch i.e.

sfha-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3

vm-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3

fs-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3

Please guide me the difference between them, further will I have to patch all three of them ?

P.S - I know NEW versions are already avaialble, but i have specific requirement of this version therefore need to perform it urgently.

Please guide me as soon as possible experts out there

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It is best to just use sfha-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3 and this will patch what you have - so if you only have vxvm and vxfs, then it will just patch these 2 are won't apply VCS patches.

Not many customers bought JUST vxvm or vxfs - it was normally bought as SF which includes both (or SFHA which also includes VCS) and I am not even sure that vxfs and vxvm can be purchased separately these days.

The only reason I can think you would apply indivdual patches for vxfs and vxvm is if you have a slow download spee so only want to download the minimum from Symantec.

From memory, you can use "rpm -aq | grep VRTS" to find out what packages you have.

Mike

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

SFHA(Storage Foundation HA) consist of VERITAS Volume Manager(VxVM), VERITAS Filesystem(VxFS) and VERITAS Cluster Server.

vm-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3 is 5.0 MP3RP3 patch for VxVM, and fs-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3 is for VxFS. 
You should determine which you need to apply by which product you have installed. Packages listed in "Patch ID" in each docs may help to determine which product you have installed.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It is best to just use sfha-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3 and this will patch what you have - so if you only have vxvm and vxfs, then it will just patch these 2 are won't apply VCS patches.

Not many customers bought JUST vxvm or vxfs - it was normally bought as SF which includes both (or SFHA which also includes VCS) and I am not even sure that vxfs and vxvm can be purchased separately these days.

The only reason I can think you would apply indivdual patches for vxfs and vxvm is if you have a slow download spee so only want to download the minimum from Symantec.

From memory, you can use "rpm -aq | grep VRTS" to find out what packages you have.

Mike

Faisal_Saleem
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Yasuhisa for your words over it :)

Faisal_Saleem
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks mikebounds for your reply.

I have two more questions if you can reply me easily.

First - One enviorment is on on SFHA 5.0MP3 and I want to patch it to SFHA 5.0MP3RP3 - Usage on this envoirment is Veritas Cluster Server. Global Cluster and Veritas Replication - It's basically 2+1 Node Cluster, 2 Cluster Nodes on Primary Site and 1 Cluster Node on DR Site - Now recomend which patch should I use from the above query I did.

Second - My another enviorment is on SFHA 5.0MP3 and I want to patch this to SFHA 5.0MP4RP1 - Usage is same as First 2+1 Node Cluster -

Which patch should I use for it for MP4RP1 ?

Or do I need to first patch it to MP4 and then seperately patch MP4RP1 ?

Thanks

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Apply sfha-rhel5_x86_64-5.0MP3RP3 to firat and SFHA MP4RP1 to second (no need to apply MP4 first - see https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/suggestion-updating-sfha50-mp3rp3-environment)

Mike

Faisal_Saleem
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Mike.

What I have understood is that I can patch directly in both the scenarios and just for confirmation in both scenarios, I will have to download 'sfha' patch only and ignore the 'vm' or 'fs' patches as my desire will be fulfilled.

Hope I am correct ?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You are correct in all cases.

Mike

Faisal_Saleem
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Marking it as Solution Mike

Thanks for your feedback