cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backups

MIG31
Level 4

Hi Symantec world

In my enviroment i have two nodes and they have backup luns on the two nodes the luns are not shared on the nodes how can i set up an efficient backup from the set up above, is there another better way to do it

Thanks,

Mig31

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If the LUNs are not shared then you cannot do offhost backup which reduces the load on the host CPU and memory, but you can do a snapshot so you reduce the load on the I/O as the live data and data been read for backup are separate.  Example:

Create mirror for snapshot:

vxassist -g diskgroup snapstart live_vol backup_lun

Then to snap of to backup:

vxassist -g diskgroup snapshot live_vol backup_vol

Then you can snapback so that volume is ready to be snapshot again for your next backup:

vxassist -g diskgroup snapback backup_vol

Doing a snapshot also means you have a point-time-copy of the data, rather than your data changing while backing up.

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If the LUNs are not shared then you cannot do offhost backup which reduces the load on the host CPU and memory, but you can do a snapshot so you reduce the load on the I/O as the live data and data been read for backup are separate.  Example:

Create mirror for snapshot:

vxassist -g diskgroup snapstart live_vol backup_lun

Then to snap of to backup:

vxassist -g diskgroup snapshot live_vol backup_vol

Then you can snapback so that volume is ready to be snapshot again for your next backup:

vxassist -g diskgroup snapback backup_vol

Doing a snapshot also means you have a point-time-copy of the data, rather than your data changing while backing up.

Mike

MIG31
Level 4

Thanks Mike

Mig31