cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing HBA card slot on SUN server, how will it be adjusted in my DG?

john_chen1
Not applicable

Hi support

i am going to upgrade my two new HBA cards and install in different slots on SUN V490, the disk device names cahnge from c1t50060E8005BD3511d0 to c4t50060E8005BD3511d0.  Does VX dg recognize the new disk in the current dg autmatically.  What do I have to do to make VX dg see the new devices and online the volumen?

thanks

john

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g_lee
Level 6

As long as the disk is unchanged, VxVM should still be able to see the disks and import the diskgroup even if the controller/device name changes, as it will read the dginfo from the private region. The issue is that the names in vxdisk list may not reflect the updated controllers automatically (depending on what version + naming scheme is in use); so this may cause confusion from an administrative perspective.

ie: if you are using an older, unpatched version (eg: 4.1 or 5.0 GA), it would be advisable to be extremely cautious as there may be issues with picking up the devices when the underlying OS devices change (eg: in 4.1 you can get corruption of the disk.info file, and this can lead to further problems if left unresolved)

As a rule, if possible try to clean up the old OS device paths before starting VxVM (if bringing the machine down to install the new HBAs, perhaps disable VxVM on boot so you can clean up the OS device tree before VxVM tries to detect the devices); once the old OS devices have been cleaned up / new ones picked up correctly, rebuild the VxVM device tree to see the new devices (the exact procedure will be dependent on the VxVM version), and then it should see the diskgroups and be able to import them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

I am somehow doubtful that vx will automatically take the new names specially when OS naming scheme is in use.... can u confirm following:

-- what is vx version you are using ?

-- what is namingscheme you are using ? OSN or EBN ?

Had an idea, Is it possible to make the change one by one ?

So lets say, you keep one path to the disks alive & move 1 HBA card to new slot & upgrade it .. once done, bring the server back up & present all the same disks via this new HBA too , this should create multipaths to the same veritas disks .. once new paths are taken from upgraded HBA, you can repeat the procedure for second HBA ..  any issues with this approach ?

Gaurav

g_lee
Level 6

As long as the disk is unchanged, VxVM should still be able to see the disks and import the diskgroup even if the controller/device name changes, as it will read the dginfo from the private region. The issue is that the names in vxdisk list may not reflect the updated controllers automatically (depending on what version + naming scheme is in use); so this may cause confusion from an administrative perspective.

ie: if you are using an older, unpatched version (eg: 4.1 or 5.0 GA), it would be advisable to be extremely cautious as there may be issues with picking up the devices when the underlying OS devices change (eg: in 4.1 you can get corruption of the disk.info file, and this can lead to further problems if left unresolved)

As a rule, if possible try to clean up the old OS device paths before starting VxVM (if bringing the machine down to install the new HBAs, perhaps disable VxVM on boot so you can clean up the OS device tree before VxVM tries to detect the devices); once the old OS devices have been cleaned up / new ones picked up correctly, rebuild the VxVM device tree to see the new devices (the exact procedure will be dependent on the VxVM version), and then it should see the diskgroups and be able to import them.

youngjohn04
Level 3

I meet the exact problem. I don't know why and when my device name changed, though the VXVM still working, the device name is wrong, this make me confused. How to clean up the old OS device path?