cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dg can be imported on more than one system

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am posting here on behalf of a customer.

Scenario:

Solaris 10  SPARC with SF 6.0.1 Enterprise.

Storage luns are zoned to more than one system to accommodate snapshots, dg split and join.

Customer has found that a regular diskgroup (no CFS, no import with -t) can be imported on a 2nd system while imported and mounted on system 1 - no warning, no error message.

The problem obvious arises when the volumes are mounted and written to with resulting data corruption.

We have not had a chance to try and replicate the exercise in a lab environment.

Is there anybody out there with similar experience?

6 REPLIES 6

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This should not be possible as the private region contains the host of the node that has the diskgroup imported, so you should only be able to import on a second node if you use the "-C" flag to clear the host name.  When you deport a diskgroup the hostname is removed from private region so it can be imported elsewhere, so you should only use the -C flag in the case where you know the first node has crashed with diskgroup imported so host never got removed from private region.

Mike

rsharma1
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Marianne,

Are the hostid in /etc/vx/volboot file same for two nodes (perhaps truncated and rendered same)? I've seen this happen on a private dg with nodes having the same (truncated) hostid on HPUX.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Mike, that is my understanding as well.

rsharma1, I will ask the customer to check and let us know.

Thanks!

Rob_Abrams
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Everyone,

I have forwarded this post to the customer and asked him to comment directly on the scenario observed and the exact sequence of events.

I know they did mention to me that they were able to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,

Rob.

rsharma1
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

Did we hear back anything from the customer yet?

hildaqu
Level 2

Hi, if it can be reproduced, why not ask CU to repro it and collect the VRTSexplorer for further diagnose?