cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dg import

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi, I like to verify the steps how an dg is imported. vxdg import dg,the vxio will issue an query on all HBA ports to find all the disks who have that dg name written on private area.right?In this query is involved vxdisk scandisk? Also if an private area on an disk is corrupted,what is happening?The vxvm will solve it or I should to fix this issue?how? Then the volumes are started.Now the OS is able to see the disks.right? If an volume has metadata corrupted how I fix it?with vxrecover,vxmend or vxcfgrestore? Also fsck? Every volume has on it the filesystem and the data itself.right? If I have an mirror logical volume,then at any write I/O the vxvm modules will instruct the disk driver to write in parallel the data on both partitions.right? So when I perform mkfs -F vxvm then the disk driver will write in parallel the filesysyem on both partitions.When I use this vxassist to create an mirror,the disk driver will write in parallel on private area of both disks involved.right? thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Answers

vxdg import dg,the vxio will issue an query on all HBA ports to find all the disks who have that dg name written on private area.right?In this query is involved vxdisk scandisk?

>> Yes, vxio will make the IOs on SCSI & find the disks & will update vxconfigd. vxconfigd knows about all the disks & their private region. To my understanding this query doesn't involves "vxdisk scandisk"

Also if an private area on an disk is corrupted,what is happening?The vxvm will solve it or I should to fix this issue?how?

>> If private region is corrupted for some reason, vxvm won't try to solve problem itself, depending on what type of corruption it is, administrative intervention is required to recover it. It may be like, reinitializing the disk with same offsets, or rewriting the private region from old configuration backups etc.

Then the volumes are started.Now the OS is able to see the disks.right?

>> First OS should be able to see the disks, then VxVM will be able to see the disks. Once DG is imported, volumes in the dg will be started.

If an volume has metadata corrupted how I fix it?with vxrecover,vxmend or vxcfgrestore?
Also fsck?

>> All are different problems. If you have issues on public region, you may need to think of backup restore. If the disk is having private region corruption, points which I mentioned in first answer would be applicable. vxrecover helps to recover private region config & bring back the volumes & plexes in enabled/active state.fsck may be required if public region had issues & filesystem inconsistency has occurred.

Every volume has on it the filesystem and the data itself.right?

>> Right

If I have an mirror logical volume,then at any write I/O the vxvm modules will instruct the disk driver to write in parallel the data on both partitions.right?

>> Right

So when I perform mkfs -F vxvm then the disk driver will write in parallel the filesysyem on both partitions.When I use this vxassist to create an mirror,the disk driver will write in parallel on private area of both disks involved.right?

>> Right, If you create a mirror using vxassist, there will be multiple subdisks involved, diskgroup configuration (private regions) of the disks will be updated with this information. As explained in your last post, there will be some disks in a diskgorup that contains the configuration copy. All the disks may not have the configuration copy enabled.

G

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Answers

vxdg import dg,the vxio will issue an query on all HBA ports to find all the disks who have that dg name written on private area.right?In this query is involved vxdisk scandisk?

>> Yes, vxio will make the IOs on SCSI & find the disks & will update vxconfigd. vxconfigd knows about all the disks & their private region. To my understanding this query doesn't involves "vxdisk scandisk"

Also if an private area on an disk is corrupted,what is happening?The vxvm will solve it or I should to fix this issue?how?

>> If private region is corrupted for some reason, vxvm won't try to solve problem itself, depending on what type of corruption it is, administrative intervention is required to recover it. It may be like, reinitializing the disk with same offsets, or rewriting the private region from old configuration backups etc.

Then the volumes are started.Now the OS is able to see the disks.right?

>> First OS should be able to see the disks, then VxVM will be able to see the disks. Once DG is imported, volumes in the dg will be started.

If an volume has metadata corrupted how I fix it?with vxrecover,vxmend or vxcfgrestore?
Also fsck?

>> All are different problems. If you have issues on public region, you may need to think of backup restore. If the disk is having private region corruption, points which I mentioned in first answer would be applicable. vxrecover helps to recover private region config & bring back the volumes & plexes in enabled/active state.fsck may be required if public region had issues & filesystem inconsistency has occurred.

Every volume has on it the filesystem and the data itself.right?

>> Right

If I have an mirror logical volume,then at any write I/O the vxvm modules will instruct the disk driver to write in parallel the data on both partitions.right?

>> Right

So when I perform mkfs -F vxvm then the disk driver will write in parallel the filesysyem on both partitions.When I use this vxassist to create an mirror,the disk driver will write in parallel on private area of both disks involved.right?

>> Right, If you create a mirror using vxassist, there will be multiple subdisks involved, diskgroup configuration (private regions) of the disks will be updated with this information. As explained in your last post, there will be some disks in a diskgorup that contains the configuration copy. All the disks may not have the configuration copy enabled.

G

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You seem to have lots of questions over the last couple of days...

Have you considered attending a 5-day Storage Foundation training course?

To find classroom training in your area, start with the

link at the bottom of this page.

PS: 
There is no vxvm argument to mkfs -F option.
To create a Veritas Filesystem, the option is 'mkfs -F vxfs'.