cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disks appear in error state after removing from veritas control

subs
Level 4
Can someone help me shed light on this issue. We are running 5.0 MP3/RP1 on solaris 10 on a number of systems connected to emc dmx arrays. If I remove a dg, unsetup those disks, remove visibility from the fabric, tidy up the dev fs using devfsadm and issue a vxdisk scandisks I get the following:

emc0_0486    auto            -            -            error
emc0_0492    auto            -            -            error
emc0_0496    auto            -            -            error
emc0_65535   auto            -            -            error
emc0_65536   auto            -            -            error
emc0_65537   auto            -            -            error

The first three disks are the ones from the destroyed dg, the last three are phantom disks that have appeared since the operation. If you rm the disks, and re-scan then you'll get these phantom disks re-appear with a new number from where it left off, in this case you'd get emc0_65538 and so on. I've tried cleaning up as outlined in this techdoc but they just wont go away. Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

2 REPLIES 2

g_lee
Level 6
Are you using any third party multipathing drivers (such as Powerpath, Sun STMS/MPxIO)? the symptoms described sound similar to this technote:

vxdisk list output erroneously lists duplicate or ghost entries during dynamic lun addition after a vxdctl enable command is executed
http://support.veritas.com/docs/290144

Unfortunately from memory, once the ghost devices get created a reboot may be needed to clear them/resolve the problem (ie: the technote describes how to avoid the problem in future) - if you log a support case they may be able to advise if there's another way/something you can do to clean this up dynamically.

subs
Level 4
Hi

We're using vxdmp on all nodes, may have to use that workaround in the link to the technote you've provided (thanks!). Will log a call with support, see what they come back with. I'll try and remember to post back with their response.

Thanks again.