cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create ODBC DSN for the SE SQL DB

matheesha_weera
Level 3
All

I am currently evaluating the deployment of SE for managing quotas for approximately 25,000 users (2- 5TB worth of data) across 10-15 2-node MSCS Windows 2003 clusters. As recommended, I am trying to use a SQL DB to host the trending data.

I have installed the SE on both cluster nodes in the lab (virtual machines). I have also enabled HA support for the resource groups which have file share resources. I created SQL server credentials with dbcreator rights and used that with the sesqlconfig tool to create a DB and configure the ODBC connection. The tool created the DB but didnt create the ODBC connections and I am confused of the behaviour.

I ran the command as myself with local adminstrator privileges. The credentials I provided for the SQL 2005 server (Express) have dbcreator rights and hence on the DB they have dbo rights. I can recreate the ODBC connections provided there are some details of what to do. I found some articles but I am not sure how to import the access DB to SQL. I dont think its so important as the access DB is from a clean install and doesnt have any usedful info.

Please note the VM based file server clusters and SQL Express editions are only for lab use and will not be used for production. Any suggestions as to what might be the cause?

Thanks

Mat
1 REPLY 1

Shahid_Gul
Level 4
I believe the process is to setup SQL server support with SE 5.3 is:
1. run the scsql.bat file on the SQL server to create the DB
2. On the server where SE is installed, rename the previous ODBC DSN created by SE called SCAuditDB and SCTrendDB.
3. Manually create new ODBC DSN called SCAuditDB and SCTrendDB
4. Configure SQL server credentials in SE management window
5. Restart the SE services.

Detailed instructions are available in the SE 5.3 Administration Guide.
Heres a link to it:

cheers

Message Edited by Shahid Gul on 05-04-200702:00 AM