Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to rescan disk without restart the server

dh3kan
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

hi all,

i have a problem, please help to solved it out.

i need to create new FS using Vxfs but i cannot scan the new disk.

i already try :

- devfsadm -Cv

- luxadm -e forcelip ........

- vxdisk scandisks

the disk can be seen using format, but if i using vxdisk list the disk cannot be seen.

thanks before

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stinsong
Level 5

Hi dh3kan,

Did you run "cfgadm -c configure cX" after map LUNs to the host ?

I think the OS not detect the LUNs from the hardware level. 

After "cfgadm -c configure cX", do " devfsadm -C" and "vxdctl enable" would solve the problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Try:

vxdctl enable

Mike

g_lee
Level 6

moved to Storage Foundation forum as the question does not pertain specifically to VCS.

If the vxdctl enable does not work, it would help if you provided the following to investigate further:

- OS platform/version

- vxvm version

- output of format (showing the disk in question)

- prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/cXtXdXs0  ### where cXtXdX is the disk in question

- any error(s) from the attempt at vxdisk scandisks / vxdctl enable

stinsong
Level 5

Hi dh3kan,

Did you run "cfgadm -c configure cX" after map LUNs to the host ?

I think the OS not detect the LUNs from the hardware level. 

After "cfgadm -c configure cX", do " devfsadm -C" and "vxdctl enable" would solve the problem.

Douglas_Snyder
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Here is a listing of disk utilites taht can help you troubleshoot the issue.  I also reccomend contacting technical support.

The Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) vxddladm utility is an administrative interface to the dynamic array support facility of the Device Discovery Layer (DDL). The DDL discovers disks and their attributes that are required for Storage Foundation (SF) operations.

The vxddladm utility lets you do the following:

• List the types of arrays supported.
  • Add or remove array support from DDL.
  • List supported JBODs.
  • Add or remove JBOD support.
  • Customize the set of array libraries that can participate in device discovery.

For more information on using the vxddladm utility to administer support for disk arrays libraries, see:

For more information on using the vxddladm utility to administer JBOD support, see:

For more information on using the vxddladm utility to add disks as foreign devices, see:

The vxddladm utility also allows you to administer the Dynamic Multi-Pathing (DMP) device naming, and to manage the DMP event source daemon.

For more information on changing the disk device naming scheme and managing the DMP event source daemon, see:

For more information on using the vxddladm utility to list device information, see:

vxddladm (1M) 6.0.1 manual pages:

Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability documentation for other releases and platforms can be found on the SORT website.

Doug Snyder, CISSP

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems the OP has lost interest? 

No reply to any of the suggestions since the original post on 27 August!