cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powerpath with VxVM 5.0

Xentar
Level 4
Hi All,

Our server is connecting to EMC CX4-120, with Sun Solaris 10.
We installed SF 5.0 with MP3 and rp1, the disk is able to see in both OS and VxVM by issue format and vxdisk list.

However, when we install EMC powerpath 5.2 SP2 after it, the powerpath not able to recognize the EMC disk and show no device found.
And when we uninstall SF 5.0 and install powerpath first, powerpath becomes able to recognize the disk and generate empower device.

I would like to know that any step we need to follow? Or how can we let the powerpath to recongnize the disk in case SF 5.0 already installed?

Regards,
Xentar
2 REPLIES 2

g_lee
Level 6
As a general rule would recommend installing powerpath or other third party multipathing drivers (TPDs) before installing VxVM, this would be more to prevent duplicate entries being created (ie: to avoid potential issue of VxVM creating devices for underlying OS device paths, and then creating duplicates once powerpath creates the emcpower devices). This should still not prevent the emcpower devs from being created though ie: not sure why this problem was encountered here.

Did you contact EMC as to why Powerpath would not have been able to claim/create the emcpower devices? since this was the component that was having the issue?

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

Even I wouldn't expect that powerpath not seeing the devices when VxVM is installed..

Was any troubleshooting done on this ? I mean commands like "powermt config"  "powercf -q" like that ?

If VxVM is causing some issues, we could try like this:

a) disabling VxVM while boot (by touching install-db file) & then see is powerpath scans the devices.
b) Shutting down VxVM temporarily
-- remove device tree contents (/dev/vx/dmp & /dev/vx/rdmp, /dev/rdsk & /dev/dsk)
-- vxdctl stop
-- scan powerpath

Hope this helps

Gaurav