Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

root disk fails

tanislavm
Level 6

Hi,

I wish to verify things.

If i have only an single root system disk with vxvm on it,what happends if:

- metadata is corrupted on the root logical volume .i assume that the disk will not be seen by the OS,but i could see objexts like plex,volume,subdisk  with vxprint.right?So if OS is not able to see the disk /dev/vx/rdsk or dsk,then the OS will crashes.right?because many I/O errors.

-file system is corrupted on root volume,then the OS sees this disk but the OS will hang?

-disk faulty to many hard errors so OS crashes.right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

i assume that the disk will not be seen by the OS,but i could see objexts like plex,volume,subdisk  with vxprint.right?

If boot disk is not seen by the OS, the system will not be bootable.
There will in effect be no OS and no vxvm. So, you will not be able to see vxvm objects.

-file system is corrupted on root volume,then the OS sees this disk.....

If UFS filesystem on root volume is corrupted, the OS will also be corrupted and not accessible,therefore not see any disks.

Correct.

Best to prevent this type of scenario with mirrored boot disk. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

i assume that the disk will not be seen by the OS,but i could see objexts like plex,volume,subdisk  with vxprint.right?

If boot disk is not seen by the OS, the system will not be bootable.
There will in effect be no OS and no vxvm. So, you will not be able to see vxvm objects.

-file system is corrupted on root volume,then the OS sees this disk.....

If UFS filesystem on root volume is corrupted, the OS will also be corrupted and not accessible,therefore not see any disks.

Correct.

Best to prevent this type of scenario with mirrored boot disk.