cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vcs migration

tanislavm
Level 6

Hi,

I wish to migrate from solaris to linux an vcs,please i need to check it.

In the case that data disks are cdsdisk then simply import the dg on linux and start the lv.

In the case of root disk,after i install linux on it,i copy the vcs configuration files in linux main.cf,llttab,llthosts,gabtab

next i edit llttab with coresponding ethernet card.

tnx so much.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

1. I would recommend to test the dg import on target systems to ensure that diskgroups can successfully be imported & volumes can be started. Do check the DG & FS versions, also refer to release notes & late breaking news to ensure you have checked any known product issues on any specific operating system before proceeding. You need to also ensure that from Storage prospective (SAN/Zoning on switches) etc is appropriately done so that Linux host can see all the disk & paths same as source system

2. Ensure that product is completely installed on target Linux systems.

3. Copy all the necessary files as you have highlighted, main.cf, types.cf, gabtab, llttab, llthosts. Also copy fencing related files if fencing is in use vxfenmode, vxfentab

4. Edit the lltttab file to indicate the NIC names corresponding to Linux systems.

5. If you are using raw disk anywhere in cluster, make sure that device paths are appropriately updated.

G

View solution in original post

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are migrating from Solaris on SPARC to Linux on Intel, then you will need to convert the endian on the filesystem, but if you are migrating from Solaris x86 on Intel hardware to Linux in on Intel then you don't need to do this - see https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migration-solaris-linux-60#comment-10349831 for more information.

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

1. I would recommend to test the dg import on target systems to ensure that diskgroups can successfully be imported & volumes can be started. Do check the DG & FS versions, also refer to release notes & late breaking news to ensure you have checked any known product issues on any specific operating system before proceeding. You need to also ensure that from Storage prospective (SAN/Zoning on switches) etc is appropriately done so that Linux host can see all the disk & paths same as source system

2. Ensure that product is completely installed on target Linux systems.

3. Copy all the necessary files as you have highlighted, main.cf, types.cf, gabtab, llttab, llthosts. Also copy fencing related files if fencing is in use vxfenmode, vxfentab

4. Edit the lltttab file to indicate the NIC names corresponding to Linux systems.

5. If you are using raw disk anywhere in cluster, make sure that device paths are appropriately updated.

G

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are migrating from Solaris on SPARC to Linux on Intel, then you will need to convert the endian on the filesystem, but if you are migrating from Solaris x86 on Intel hardware to Linux in on Intel then you don't need to do this - see https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migration-solaris-linux-60#comment-10349831 for more information.

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6

hi,

tnx and it would be better if there would be an option to split solution,where to give percentage.

example Gaurav 80% and Mike 20%.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would be hesitant to copy types.cf between OS's. 
Resource parameters are not always the same.

Copy all of the .cf files to a separate folder and run hacf -verify on the folder to validate config before you overwrite or replace current files.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH11480 
Double-check and update resource attributes, such as NIC names, IP addresses, mountpoints, etc.

I would personally perform base installation and config of VCS.
This will ensure correct llthosts, llttab and gabtab files. No need to copy them.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I agree with Marianne - you should not copy the types.cf file as this is O/S specify and I aso agree with Marianne that you should do a base install and config of VCS, so the only file you should need to copy over is the main.cf

You will need to edit the main.cf for the change in network resources and probably system names.

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

I would partially agree on types.cf, the intent to mention types.cf file was to ensure that any override/custom settings for any resource would get taken care in new setup as well ..

If you don't have any custom/override settings for any resource, then don't copy types.cf.

If you have any custom/override settings for any resource, then port those settings appropriately to target system as well, else if you want to copy the types.cf file, verify using the hacf -verify option that Linux system is OK with the copied types.cf file.

G

tanislavm
Level 6

hi,

tnx to all as your input are very valuables.