Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vcs

ousor
Level 4

hi,

vcs works also with lvm,svm,zfs?

please what happens when disk coordinator is not seen by any node in vcs,and i try to start the vcs?tnx a million.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

VCS can work with lvm, zfs meaning VCS can control LVM volumes (volume agent) & Mount agent can control following types of filesystems ufs, nfs, zfs, lofs, or vxfs.

Coming to second part, if you have a fencing configured in enabled mode & if coordinator disks are not seen by Vxfen module, then fencing module will keep giving error & will not form membership with other node. This will make VCS not to start as fencing module should load prior to VCS.

If you manually try to start VCS (if fencing is enabled), same case will happen, as fencing will not form membership if coordinator disks are not visible & hence VCS will not start.

Please note, coordinator disks can be configured only in veritas volume manager & not in SVM/LVM. An alternative to this approach is to use coordinaton point server. Details about coordination point server can be found here

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/solaris/productguides/html/vcs_admin/ch10s06.htm

more details of IO Fencing can be found here

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/solaris/productguides/html/vcs_admin/ch10.htm

G

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

About your 1st question:
VCS bundled agent guide contains information about different file system types supported by VCS mount agent the different Volume managers that are supported by DiskReservation and other Storage agents. 
See Chapter 2: Storage agents in the Bundled Agent Guide.

2nd question seems to be related to I/O fencing, right?

As per Gaurav's excellent post - if coordinator disks are not visible, the fencing driver and process will not be loaded, port b membership will not be formed, preventing had from starting.

Please read through the relevant sections in VCS Admin Guide:

About communications, membership, and data protection in the cluster 

This chapter includes the following topics:
■ About cluster communications
■ About cluster membership
■ About membership arbitration
■ About data protection
■ About I/O fencing configuration files
■ Examples of VCS operation with I/O fencing
■ About cluster membership and data protection without I/O fencing
■ Examples of VCS operation without I/O fencing
■ Summary of best practices for cluster communications

Marianne
Level 6

cvm is 'Cluster Volume Manager'.  This is part of CFS (Symantec/Veritas Cluster Filesystem) installation.

In other words, VxVM with CFS license that enables concurrent import an mount of same volumes.

So, the answer is no. 
cvm does not not support lvm, zfs, svm.
Only VxVM volumes with VxFS filesystems.

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO25249

Extract:

CVM is an extension of Veritas Volume Manager, the industry standard storage virtualization platform. CVM extends the concepts of VxVM across multiple nodes. 

**** EDIT ****

Big favour, please:

One question per forum discussion if you don't mind?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

VCS can work with lvm, zfs meaning VCS can control LVM volumes (volume agent) & Mount agent can control following types of filesystems ufs, nfs, zfs, lofs, or vxfs.

Coming to second part, if you have a fencing configured in enabled mode & if coordinator disks are not seen by Vxfen module, then fencing module will keep giving error & will not form membership with other node. This will make VCS not to start as fencing module should load prior to VCS.

If you manually try to start VCS (if fencing is enabled), same case will happen, as fencing will not form membership if coordinator disks are not visible & hence VCS will not start.

Please note, coordinator disks can be configured only in veritas volume manager & not in SVM/LVM. An alternative to this approach is to use coordinaton point server. Details about coordination point server can be found here

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/solaris/productguides/html/vcs_admin/ch10s06.htm

more details of IO Fencing can be found here

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/solaris/productguides/html/vcs_admin/ch10.htm

G

Marianne
Level 6

About your 1st question:
VCS bundled agent guide contains information about different file system types supported by VCS mount agent the different Volume managers that are supported by DiskReservation and other Storage agents. 
See Chapter 2: Storage agents in the Bundled Agent Guide.

2nd question seems to be related to I/O fencing, right?

As per Gaurav's excellent post - if coordinator disks are not visible, the fencing driver and process will not be loaded, port b membership will not be formed, preventing had from starting.

Please read through the relevant sections in VCS Admin Guide:

About communications, membership, and data protection in the cluster 

This chapter includes the following topics:
■ About cluster communications
■ About cluster membership
■ About membership arbitration
■ About data protection
■ About I/O fencing configuration files
■ Examples of VCS operation with I/O fencing
■ About cluster membership and data protection without I/O fencing
■ Examples of VCS operation without I/O fencing
■ Summary of best practices for cluster communications

ousor
Level 4

hi,

my last question would be if in cvm is supported lvm,zfs,svm.tnx a million.

Marianne
Level 6

cvm is 'Cluster Volume Manager'.  This is part of CFS (Symantec/Veritas Cluster Filesystem) installation.

In other words, VxVM with CFS license that enables concurrent import an mount of same volumes.

So, the answer is no. 
cvm does not not support lvm, zfs, svm.
Only VxVM volumes with VxFS filesystems.

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO25249

Extract:

CVM is an extension of Veritas Volume Manager, the industry standard storage virtualization platform. CVM extends the concepts of VxVM across multiple nodes. 

**** EDIT ****

Big favour, please:

One question per forum discussion if you don't mind?

Thanks!