cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

vxassist multiple volume of a same subdisk

Karim_Raslan
Level 3

Hi,

I will need to migrate from one array to another array. but i have this dg that have multiple volume using the same subdisk.

using this command (vxassist -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg mirror sybase emc1_01ba) Will vxassist automatically create plex for other volumes, attach it to the volume and start mirroring?

vxprint -ht

Disk group: klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg

DG NAME         NCONFIG      NLOG     MINORS   GROUP-ID
ST NAME         STATE        DM_CNT   SPARE_CNT         APPVOL_CNT
DM NAME         DEVICE       TYPE     PRIVLEN  PUBLEN   STATE
RV NAME         RLINK_CNT    KSTATE   STATE    PRIMARY  DATAVOLS  SRL
RL NAME         RVG          KSTATE   STATE    REM_HOST REM_DG    REM_RLNK
CO NAME         CACHEVOL     KSTATE   STATE
VT NAME         RVG          KSTATE   STATE    NVOLUME
V  NAME         RVG/VSET/CO  KSTATE   STATE    LENGTH   READPOL   PREFPLEX UTYPE
PL NAME         VOLUME       KSTATE   STATE    LENGTH   LAYOUT    NCOL/WID MODE
SD NAME         PLEX         DISK     DISKOFFS LENGTH   [COL/]OFF DEVICE   MODE
SV NAME         PLEX         VOLNAME  NVOLLAYR LENGTH   [COL/]OFF AM/NM    MODE
SC NAME         PLEX         CACHE    DISKOFFS LENGTH   [COL/]OFF DEVICE   MODE
DC NAME         PARENTVOL    LOGVOL
SP NAME         SNAPVOL      DCO
EX NAME         ASSOC        VC                       PERMS    MODE     STATE
SR NAME         KSTATE

dg klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg default default 1000 1362542192.621.klcdsg01

dm klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg01 emc0_186b auto 65536 212055808 -

v  sybase       -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   62914560 SELECT    -        fsgen
pl sybase-01    sybase       ENABLED  ACTIVE   62914560 CONCAT    -        RW
sd klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg01-01 sybase-01 klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg01 0 62914560 0 emc0_186b ENA

v  sybdevice    -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   104857600 SELECT   -        fsgen
pl sybdevice-01 sybdevice    ENABLED  ACTIVE   104857600 CONCAT   -        RW
sd klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg01-02 sybdevice-01 klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg01 62914560 104857600 0 emc0_186b ENA

v  sybtemp      -            ENABLED  ACTIVE   31457280 SELECT    -        fsgen
pl sybtemp-01   sybtemp      ENABLED  ACTIVE   31457280 CONCAT    -        RW
sd klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg01-03 sybtemp-01 klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg01 167772160 31457280 0 emc0_186b ENA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

First you need to add the new disk into veritas diskgroup, currently you have only 1 disk in diskgroup & hence you run above mentioned command now, it will fail saying no such disk found.

If emc1_01ba is the disk from new array, you can add in to existing dg using below command

# vxdisksetup -i emc1_01ba    (assuming that new disk was not initialized in veritas)

# vxdg -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg adddisk klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg02 = emc1_01ba

With this command successful, once you run the vxprint command as you ran above, you should see 2 "dm" records in diskgroup i.e 2 disks in diskgroups.

Now you can run the mirror command you mentioned in your post & it will succeed

G

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

First you need to add the new disk into veritas diskgroup, currently you have only 1 disk in diskgroup & hence you run above mentioned command now, it will fail saying no such disk found.

If emc1_01ba is the disk from new array, you can add in to existing dg using below command

# vxdisksetup -i emc1_01ba    (assuming that new disk was not initialized in veritas)

# vxdg -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg adddisk klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg02 = emc1_01ba

With this command successful, once you run the vxprint command as you ran above, you should see 2 "dm" records in diskgroup i.e 2 disks in diskgroups.

Now you can run the mirror command you mentioned in your post & it will succeed

G

Karim_Raslan
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I've found the solution to migrate multiple vol of a same sd.

i just need to run command as below

vxassist -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg mirror sybase emc1_01ba

vxassist -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg mirror sybdevice emc1_01ba

vxassist -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg mirror sybtemp emc1_01ba

stinsong
Level 5

Hi Karim

First of all, there is only one disk in the DG. You need to add disks from the other disk array which you want to migrate data to.

# vxdisksetup -i emc1_01ba 

# vxdg -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg emc1_01ba

Then you can use the vxassist to mirror data to it:

# vxassist -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg mirror sybase klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg02

NOTE: Here is just an example of one volume "sybase". You need to run this command for each volume you want to migrate. vxasssit will not mirror other volumes in one command.

And after all volumes are mirrored, splite and remove disks from the old array from DG.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi Karim,

Mirror commands are correct but you would need to add the disk to diskgorup first as I mentioned in my previous comment.

Hi Stinsong,

The command you mentioned to add the disk in diskgroup is incorrect, you are missing with "adddisk" option & "dmname=daname" , I have given the correct command in my previous comment.

G

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I guess you have worked this out now, but just to clarify:

• Vxvm mirrors volumes, not disks

• You can have multiple volumes using the same disks, in which case each volume will have its OWN subdisk on the disk - i.e your volumes are sharing the same disk, not the same subdisk.

• After mirroring each volume as you have done, you need to remove the mirrors on the original array to complete the migration, for each volume - example:
  1. vxassist -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg remove mirror sybase !emc0_186b

• When you have removed mirrors for all volumes on original array, you can remove disk from diskgroup:
  • vxdisk -g klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg rmdisk emc0_186b

Mike

stinsong
Level 5

Hi Gaurav,

Yes, I missed option "adddisk". 

But the dmname is not necessary to complete the job. It will be assigned according to the DG name and that's what Karim has, so it will be "klcdsctcrsyb019g1_sybasedg02" because it's the second disk join the DG.

Thanks.