cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxconfigd not starting on reboot

Bill_Ranck
Level 4

I have Volume Manager 4.1 running on a Solaris 10 with Sun Cluster.  This is a 2 node cluster and one node is fine, however on the second node vxconfigd fails to start on reboot.  The odd part is that vxconfigd starts and works fine if I manually start it once the system has booted up.

The Oracle/Sun support folks have suggested re-installing Veritas, and I've located some install disks so I'm ready to try that, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can try first? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bill_Ranck
Level 4

I had already checked for the presence of the install-db file, and it did not exist.  And, there were no errors on startup except ones that said vxconfigd was not running.  Nothing from vxconfigd itself.

Oracle/Sun had suggested installing a patch 124358-08 which I was finally able to download and after installing this patch vxconfigd started correctly.  This may not have been a patch issue in particular, but just replaced whatever file or binary was broken.

At least I did not have to re-install VxVM. 

Thanks for the suggestions . . .

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

is there a file called /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db ?

if install-db file exists, it will prevent volume manager to startup ..

remove the file & volume manager should start automatically..

Gaurav

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Agree with Gaurav.  Any error messages at boot time?

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69680

Bill_Ranck
Level 4

I had already checked for the presence of the install-db file, and it did not exist.  And, there were no errors on startup except ones that said vxconfigd was not running.  Nothing from vxconfigd itself.

Oracle/Sun had suggested installing a patch 124358-08 which I was finally able to download and after installing this patch vxconfigd started correctly.  This may not have been a patch issue in particular, but just replaced whatever file or binary was broken.

At least I did not have to re-install VxVM. 

Thanks for the suggestions . . .