cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxdisk list can only see the internal disks

Eric_Gao
Level 4

HI,

After installed vxvm4.1 on solaris10 05/08.  "vxdisk list" can only see the solaris internal disks, not for EMC disk, though "format" can see all of EMC disks.

I had tried to create a file system on EMC disk and mounted it, there is no problem.  Just "vxdisk list" reports only solaris interl disks.

I had tried below commands, but still no luck.

vxdctl enable
vxdctl stop; /usr/sbin/vxconfigd -km enable
vxdisk scandisks
cfgadm -c configure c2; cfgadm -c configure c4; devfdadm -C; devfsadm
reinstall vxvm

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Eric_Gao
Level 4

the problem is already resolved.

The problem is with the library file to support emc disk array.  coz the emc disks have been recognized by solaris, but not for vxvm.  so there must be something wrong with vxvm disk discovery.  We digged around with vxddladmin command and found the solution

"vxddladm listsupport all" will tell the library to support emc arrary is libvxemc.so, then we run "vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxemc.so" to disable this library, afterwards, all emc disks were treated as jbod disks and it worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

learning_verita
Level 3

may be u caqn try this seq

cfgadm -al 

vxdctl enable 

Eric_Gao
Level 4

Thansk for your reply.

I don't see any point by running (cfgadm -al; vxdctl enable).

I had tried "vxdctl enable", but no luck.  As for "cfgadm -al", this is only to list all the available HBA cards, no help to scan the new disks.

I even tried to re-configure the controller as I wrote in my ask.

"cfgadm -c configure c2; cfgadm -c configure c4"

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello Eric,

Do you have any maintenance pack installed for SF 4.1 ? Do you have ASL/APM for EMC array installed ?

Also there are particular settings from array that is needed by Veritas to function correctly. These settings can be found in Veritas Hardware Technotes like 1 here:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Foundation_Suite/283282.pdf

I am not sure but from top of my head I somehow remember 4.1MP2 use to have fix for this type of issue with EMC arrays. Generally what happens that every EMC lun is assigned with a serial number, If the EMC luns has a special character in the serial number (like "," or "!"), veritas is unable to recognize that...

I would suggest to upgrade to 4.1MP2 & check..

Hope this helps..

Gaurav

Eric_Gao
Level 4

the problem is already resolved.

The problem is with the library file to support emc disk array.  coz the emc disks have been recognized by solaris, but not for vxvm.  so there must be something wrong with vxvm disk discovery.  We digged around with vxddladmin command and found the solution

"vxddladm listsupport all" will tell the library to support emc arrary is libvxemc.so, then we run "vxddladm excludearray libname=libvxemc.so" to disable this library, afterwards, all emc disks were treated as jbod disks and it worked.