cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxedit

tanislavm
Level 6

hi,

vxedit set user=red group=green mode=0666 neville,so i setup which user and group will access this raw volume on this box into an ORAC.right?

Supposing that there are 100 users (from 100 computers) who like to access the database built on this volume,they will access the database using the oracle processes who have the user=red and group=green on this box,and handle that database.right?

Those 100 users are oracle users and not unix users.right?Some of the oracle users could have the name "test",other users could have the name "test1",test and test1 are oracle users who have the right to conect to the database built on this volume.right?

thanks so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The raw volume needs to be owned by the oracle user which in your case I believe is red with group green.

The Oracle "processes" then run as user "red" and are able to access the raw volumes.  Oracle (non-UNIX) users (like test1") then connect to the Oracle process and whether oracle process gives them access is down to the access given in the Oracle database.

So oracle user "test1" can't even log on the system to access the raw volume directly, but can access database via the Oracle listener.

A unix user who can access the system still won't be able to access the raw volume directly unless they have group "green".

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The raw volume needs to be owned by the oracle user which in your case I believe is red with group green.

The Oracle "processes" then run as user "red" and are able to access the raw volumes.  Oracle (non-UNIX) users (like test1") then connect to the Oracle process and whether oracle process gives them access is down to the access given in the Oracle database.

So oracle user "test1" can't even log on the system to access the raw volume directly, but can access database via the Oracle listener.

A unix user who can access the system still won't be able to access the raw volume directly unless they have group "green".

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Small addition to Mike's answer above

vxedit set user=red group=green mode=0666 neville,so i setup which user and group will access this raw volume on this box into an ORAC.right?

>>>> Setting permissions/user/group on a volume has nothing to do with what volume is use for, for e.g, in the command above, you have set user=red, group=green & mode=0666 for "neville" volume. It doesn't matter whether you are using this volume for DB or RAC or any other application. It is as simple as setting an access control on volume.

G