Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxrecover

tanislavm
Level 6

hi,

I wish to check a thing.

In production could i use  online the command #vxrecover -sb volume in order to synchronize the plexes under this volume,or raid5 subdisk recovery?

I mean if there is I/O on the filesystem on this volume.tnx a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Haniwa
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Vx commands are intended to run on live volumes. Synchronization or R5 rebuild will definitely cause I/O. In the case of a mirror, it will read from one plex and write to the other, while the overall file system remains mounted and writable.

FastResync can be used to reduce the I/O load caused by resynchonization, but... A) it needs to be enabled on the volume ahead of time, and 2) it is a licensed option.

Marianne is suggesting that you provide context for your question, so it can be determined if vxrecover is the best option. You will get more response that way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you experiencing a real issue in your environment?

If so, please tell us about the problem.
It is easier to reply to a real issue than trying to answer a theoretical question.

Haniwa
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Vx commands are intended to run on live volumes. Synchronization or R5 rebuild will definitely cause I/O. In the case of a mirror, it will read from one plex and write to the other, while the overall file system remains mounted and writable.

FastResync can be used to reduce the I/O load caused by resynchonization, but... A) it needs to be enabled on the volume ahead of time, and 2) it is a licensed option.

Marianne is suggesting that you provide context for your question, so it can be determined if vxrecover is the best option. You will get more response that way.

tanislavm
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

i do not experience yet such of issue but i wished to know in advance if i could perform vxrecover online.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As per above excellent post, VxVM is absolutely made for online maintenance. It must be understood though that performance will be affected while resync is taking place.