what is the impact if the licence of SFCFS is expired

taoufik
Level 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can just carry on using product with keyless licence and you will start be able to use product, even after restart - it will just mean you will get a lot of messages in the log and you can stop these if you install VOM (and you don't need to enter licence on VOM).  

When you get new licence, you can just use "vxkeyless set NONE" to remove keyless licence and enter official lic (no need to reinstall) or you can keep with using keyless licence if you have installed and connected to VOM

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If licence expires then system continues to function, but you wil not be able to restart VCS, so if you reboot or stop VCS manually, it will not restart again.  So technically you are ok, until you restart, but, of course, you need to get license sorted from a legal point of view.

Mike

taoufik
Level 3

Thanks Mike

taoufik
Level 3

Dear Mike

I hav a poc with lic expired.

can i reinstall the product? does data/volume not destroy

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You do not need to resintall to add a new licence, but if you do reinstall then data is not lost, but you cannot access a veritas volume without Veritas volume Manager installed, but once resintalled you can access data again.

If you are using a non-EVAL keyless licence, then product continues to work, even after a restart, but you are in breach of licence agreement.  Not sure what happens with an EVAL keyless licence expires, if you then try to restart product.  According to https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/sfha-keyless EVAL licences do not exist, but they are still there is 6.1 and you can use them, so perhaps they are no different from the non-EVAL in that the product will still work after restarting.

Mike

taoufik
Level 3

Thanks Mike

In fact I use keyless licence and i'm waiting for official lic from Symantec

I need to use the POC with new keyless (60 days) without creation volumes, SG, ...

If i reinstall the product does hi activate this feauture

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can just carry on using product with keyless licence and you will start be able to use product, even after restart - it will just mean you will get a lot of messages in the log and you can stop these if you install VOM (and you don't need to enter licence on VOM).  

When you get new licence, you can just use "vxkeyless set NONE" to remove keyless licence and enter official lic (no need to reinstall) or you can keep with using keyless licence if you have installed and connected to VOM

Mike

taoufik
Level 3

thanks Mike

I have got the official lic and i have installed.