cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFHA Solutions 6.0.1: Using Veritas Cluster Server Simulator

Diana_Pham
Level 4
Employee

Veritas Cluster Server (VCS) Simulator enables you to simulate and test cluster configurations. You can use VCS Simulator to view and modify service group and resource configurations and test failover behavior. VCS Simulator can run on a stand-alone system and does not require any additional hardware. You can install VCS Simulator only on a Windows operating system.

VCS Simulator runs an identical version of the VCS High Availability Daemon (HAD) as in a cluster, ensuring that failover decisions are identical to those in an actual cluster.

Using VCS Simulator, you can test configurations from different operating systems. For example, you can run VCS Simulator to test configurations for VCS clusters on Windows, AIX, HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris operating systems. VCS Simulator also enables you to create and test global clusters.

You can administer VCS Simulator from the Java Console or from the command line.

To download VCS Simulator, see:

http://go.symantec.com/vcsm_download

For more information on installing and administering VCS Simulator, see:

VCS documentation for other releases and platforms can be found on the SORT website.

7 REPLIES 7

Herve_GREGOIRE
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I just install windows 8 on my laptop, but i am not able to install the las version of VCS Simulator.

The only one, is 5.1 but when i create a new cluster in simconfig.txt, I cannot save it because the file open by another application...

Do you have an idea ?

Thanks

Varadarajan
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hello,

VCS Simulator 6.0.1 is available for download from http://go.symantec.com/vcsm_download.

I understand that VCS Simulator on Windows 8 is not qualified yet. However, an SME informed that he was able to configure and run VCS Simulator 6.0.1 on Windows 8.

Can you check?

Thanks,

Varad

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The link http://go.symantec.com/vcsm_download has changed - where can Simulator be downloaded from now?

Thanks

Mike

ashirodk
Level 4
Employee

Mike: We will fix the link above. Thanks for pointing this out.

In the meantime, please use the direct download link: https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=89446

You will need a (free) SymAccount to log in.

Regards,

Amit.

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Having an installer problem with the file "VCS_Simulator_6.0.1_for_Windows" on my Windows 7 Laptop ... Is anybody else having this issue? and How soon can we expect a fix?

JanVH
Not applicable

Same here...installer fails on Windows 7 with "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package". Simulator 5.1 installs just fine...

subodhj
Not applicable
Employee

Hi,

If you are installing it on a 64 bit system you can try installing using the ‘run as administrator’ option. That should get you through the install (But please do note, you will also have to launch the VCS Simulator using the same ‘run as administrator’ option).

if you are stiil getting this error then this error may be due to a custom action inside the MSI which installs VC runtime (vcredist_x86) which might be failing here. Looks like vcredist_x86 is already present on your system and hence when it is again launched by the simulator installed it is going into the maintenance mode (repair\uninstall) which is not expected by the installer and installer is failing.

As workaround, you can uninstall the already installed vcredist_x86 from the system (from add\remove program) and then install simulator MSI.

Again if it does not solve the issue (Most probably it should as I just tried installing simulator MSI on my win 7 laptop and got the same issue later however when I uninstalled vcredist_x86, it worked fine for me.) Pls run the installer by enabling the verbose logs (msiexec /I <path of the simulator MSI> /L*V <path of the log file>) and provide us the logs.

- Subodh