cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFHA Solutions 6.2: Improving database performance with atomic write I/O

vsaptars
Level 2
Employee

Storage Foundation (SF) 6.2 leverages the atomic write capability of Fusion-io devices in the Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL) 6.x environment. Atomic write support in Storage Foundation helps improve database performance.

Atomic write capable devices, such as Fusion-io devices ensure that either all the blocks mentioned in the write I/O operation, which may span multiple sectors are written successfully on the device, or none of the blocks are written.

For more information on Atomic write I/O, see:
•    About the atomic write I/O 
•    Requirements for atomic write I/O

Storage Foundation 6.2, lets you configure the atomic write when you create a Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) volume on an atomic write capable device. The default write I/O size of an atomic write capable volume is 16KB. While creating an atomic write capable volume, VxVM ensures that all the underlying subdisks do not exceed the 16 KB limit. Atomic write capable volumes can span multiple atomic write enabled devices, but I/O crossing the atomic write boundary is not supported.

Atomic write is supported on raw VxVM volumes and on VxFS file systems configured on VxVM volumes.
For information about using the Storage Foundation atomic write I/O feature with
MySQL, see:

•    How the atomic write I/O feature of Storage Foundation helps MySQL databases
•    Configuring atomic write I/O support for MySQL on VxVM raw volumes
•    Configuring atomic write I/O support for MySQL on VxFS file systems 

For more information about the limitations of configuring atomic write I/O support on raw VxVM volumes and VxFS file systems, see:
•    Restrictions on atomic write I/O functionality 

For details on how to disable atomic write I/O support, see:
•    Disabling atomic write I/O support 

Symantec Storage Foundation and High Availability documentation for other releases and platforms can be found on the SORT website.

0 REPLIES 0