cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Veritas InfoScale Enterprise 7.1: Managing application I/O workloads using maximum IOPS settings

Blezy_Philip
Level 3
Employee

When multiple applications use a common storage subsystem, it is important to balance application I/O requests in a way that allows multiple applications to co-exist in a shared environment. You can address this need by setting a maximum threshold on the I/O operations per second (IOPS) for the volumes of an application. The volumes of an application are grouped to form an application volume group.

The maximum IOPS limit determines the maximum number of I/Os processed per second collectively by all the volumes in an application volume group. When an I/O request comes in from an application, it is serviced by the volumes in the group until the application volume group reaches the IOPS limit. When the group exceeds this limit for a specified time interval, further I/O requests on the group are queued. The queued I/Os are taken up on priority in the next time interval along with new I/O requests from the application.

About application volume groups
An application volume group is a logical grouping of volumes associated with an application. The group may contain one or more volumes. All the volumes in the application volume group must be selected from the same disk group. The volumes may belong to a private or shared disk group. Set the maximum IOPS threshold on the application volume group to balance multiple application I/O workloads. The IOPS value is set as a combined threshold for all the volumes in the application volume group.

Some of the configuration and administrative tasks to manage application I/O workloads are as follows:

Additional helpful information about this feature can be found at:

http://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/quality-service-maxiops-sla?utm_source=symconnect&utm_medium=...

Veritas InfoScale documentation for other releases and platforms can be found on the SORT website. 

0 REPLIES 0