cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013R2_11.1.4.55331 SRD Network Issue

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Hello,

I have created a new SRD for 2013R2_11.1.4.55331. It was created on Windows 10 Pro with the Windows 10 ADK installed and the Advanced option was used for the creation.

Everytime I boot from this new SRD a window pops up that no Network adaptor was found. However, when running IPConfig from the SRD the following is returned:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : minint-27f29vt
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home.gateway

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home.gateway
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7D-04-88-93
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fc70:8f7f:2365:7123%2(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 1, 2016 2:01:37 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:02:56 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 33561981
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-40-98-01-00-1D-7D-04-88-93
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So obviously a Network adaptor was found and configured correctly.

But when I try to map a network drive I get the following error "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated. The device I'm trying to map to is a Synology NAS running DSM 5.2-5644 Update 2 running the Windows File Service.

I have another SRD that was created on Windows 8.1 using 2013R2_11.1.0.53728. This disk has no problems identifying the network adaptor and no problems mapping drives from the NAS.

This error is 100% repeatable (and I have verified I'm using the correct userid/password for connection to the NAS) and I have tried the SRD on different PCs. Obviously I want to use the newer SRD as I need support for Windows 10.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Does this apply? https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000100493

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

I'm afraid it doesn't.

The Windows 10 Pro was a clean install and not an upgrade from other versions of Windows.

Plus I have no problems creating the SRD, the problems only occur when trying to use the SRD with networking.

criley
Employee Accredited

Is there a difference in the output when running IPCONFIG via each SRD? It maybe that the Win 10 based SRD is picking up the wrong NIC driver.

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Hello,

The ipconfig I posted in the original post was for the Win 10 based SRD.

Here is the ipconfig from the Win 8 based SRD.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : minint-p114p9b
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home.gateway

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home.gateway
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7D-04-88-93
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4900:3174:677b:e939%3(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:16:36 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:16:35 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 50339197
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-41-B4-C4-00-1D-7D-04-88-93
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

criley
Employee Accredited

That all looks fine to me.

Despite the error you see when trying to map a drive, have you tested that ping works? So ping from the recovery environment to the NAS. Also ping from another machine to the recovery environment IP address.

Do both work?

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Hello,

I've just pinged from my recovery environment to my NAS and from my NAS to my recovery environment. Both were successful.

I again tried mapping using the GUI which continued to fail.

However I have just tried entering the "net use" command from the command shell which successfully mapped the drive, so I suspect there is a bug in the GUI implementation.

criley
Employee Accredited

Glad to hear it's working.

I found this which may explain the issue you are seeing: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=106924&start=15

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

I've been looking at that but I'm not sure if it is the cause of my issue (bit I could be wrong) as I can mount shares with the "net use" command but not the GUI.

Is there anyway I can include a custom command file in my SRD boot so I can automatically run the net use command everytime it boots up? This would then be a workaround for me.

criley
Employee Accredited

I will check what command is run in the background when using the GUI option to map a drive.

There is nothing within the product that will allow you to do what you are asking with a custom command file. You will probably need to look to see what you can do using DISM (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh825236.aspx).

CQ
Level 5

Hi,

If I am recalling correctly,  I have seen the error  "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."  many times over the years on various versions of the SRD environment when trying to map a network drive.  The error occurs after entering the user credentials for the share.  The problem disappeared on the version before SP4 (SP3 I think) but resurfaced with SP4. Historically, I simply choose "Connect using different credentials" and the mapping is always successful.

This problem has been around for a while.  I also use a Synology NAS.

CQ

criley
Employee Accredited

I've confirmed that this is the function that is used by the UI map a drive option: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa385413%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It may be worth checking with Synology to see if the NAS you are using supports this type of command.

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Has the function changed between the 2013R2_11.1.4.55331 and 2013R2_11.1.0.53728 versions of the SRD? Because I have no problem with the earlier version.

But I have found this - https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/automatically-mount-share-while-booting-symantec-recovery-disc-boot-environment

So at least I have a work around.

criley
Employee Accredited

Not as far as I know.

But clearly the version of WinPE has changed because you are building the recovery SRD using Windows 10 so latest version of WinPE is now being used for the recovery environment - this may have an impact on the behavior you are seeing.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

I see that SSR version 2013R2_11.1.5.55405 was available for download so I grabbed that to see if there was any improvement. Unfortunately there was no change. The workaround at https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/automatically-mount-share-while-booting-symantec-recovery-d... still works so I’m happy. I have noticed that when booting off a cd with the workaround to establish the initial connection then I’m able to use the GUI to map additional drives. Without the workaround the initial connection still can’t be made.