cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

26 hours remaining

mcavic
Level 2

Hello all.  I've been using SSR 2013 for years to do a nightly image of my Win 7 machine to a secondary internal hard drive.  It usually takes a little over an hour for a full image.  The other day I woke up in the morning, and the backup was still running, with an estimate of 23-26 hours.  After rebooting and trying again with the same results, I uninstalled SSR and installed VSR 21, and started a backup to a new destination folder.  Same thing, 26 hours remaining. 

The primary drive is a Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD.  Backup is a Seagate 6 TB HDD (3 months old).  No performance problems otherwise.  I recently installed OneDrive which I haven't used before, so I thought that might be related, but I've since removed it. 

Has anyone seen anything like this?

4 REPLIES 4

akihiro1
Employee

Files in .Vtrack folder and VTrackDiskControl.ctl may be corrupted. 

Regarding the workaround, see the below article.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100020202

And please perform Step 1, 2, 6,7, and 9. 

Notes: I think that you do not need to perform Step 3, 4, 5, 8 at this time.

After then, back up again.

If a virus scan is performed on the machine, please exclude the files in .Vtrack folder and VTrackDiskControl.ctl from the target.

I followed all of the steps, and paused the antivirus (Eset Endpoint 7.3).  No help.

akihiro1
Employee

Do you have a SRD (System Recovery Disk)? If not, please create the SRD.

After then could you perform offline-backup on the SRD after booting from the SRD?

If the remaining backup time is extremely shorter than 26 hours, it may take a long time for VSR to access to VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) snapshot since VSR gets the backup data from the VSS snapshot volume.
Please check if many shadowcopies exist on C drive by running "vssadmin list shadows" as Administrator, and delete them.

If the remaining backup time is 26 hours even on the SRD, there may be file system errors in either C drive or G drive. Please run "chkdsk c:" and "chkdsk g:" and check if file system errors are found. If errors are found, run "chkdsk c: /r /f" or "chkdsk g: /r /f".

Note:  S.M.A.R.T is a function to check HDD errors from the physical perspective. It cannot detect the file system errors. So I suggest to perform "chkdsk" command to detect errors from the OS perspective.

The offline backup ran normally, so yes, it's a Windows or VSS problem.  vssadmin list shadows shows no results, and vssadmin list writers shows no errors, everything stable.

I'm thinking about upgrading to Win 10 soon, so I'm not too worried about it, but I appreciate the help.