Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About that Veritas System Recovery (VSR) 18 TOI session

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Chris,

I just watched this course: Veritas System Recovery (VSR) 18 TOI, and have a few questions.

First off, what does Veritas mean by TOI?  It is not an acronym that I've ever run across.

Second, in terms of MSPs using Azure storage for their clients' desktop (and/or sever) back-ups, how should we differentiate those storage locations?  Should we establish a separate account per client or simply create a separate storage blob per client?  I'm looking for a "best practice" recommendation here, and something that will make it easier for monthly invoicing.

Third, it was mentioned that "Clean Up" when using cloud storage would not work.  You even asked if this applied to the number of recovery point sets, and were told yes, it was.  I am seeking clarification on that.

Clean Up - at least to me - is a stand-alone activity to clean up "orphaned" files.  The roll-off based on the number of recovery point sets to keep is completely different.  So I need to know, is it simply "Clean Up" that doesn't work on the cloud, or is it the roll-off?  Because if it is the latter, the costs of the cloud are going to go through the roof - and folks are going to get very, very upset.  I just checked and there is nothing mentioned about this in the User Guide, so I need clarification.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

TOI = Transfer of Information.

Regarding the question about 'clean up'. This was actually changed before VSR 18 was released. Cleanup does work for direct backup to cloud in the same way it works for any other destination. In other words, it should honour the settings for number of recovery points that has been specified in the backup job.

As for your question around MSPs using Azure... I don't believe that this is something that has been considered so I think it probably comes down to how you (and your customers) want to handle this. Whether or not you want all customer data held in the same account is entirely up to you and perhaps something that needs discussing with your customers as well.