cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing v2i file from 2009

michelep
Level 2

I have a .v2i backup file made in 2009 from a machine that is now long dead.  I would like to be able to at least inspect the contents of this file.  So far, following advice found in this forum and other places, I have tried:

• "Ghost Explorer" program - doesn't work as the file is not a .gho
  • Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 - produces error ED80001F: "This recovery point file uses a form of compression (131072) that is not supported by this version of the  product on this platform".  

Per https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH55857.html, 

here are two possible solutions for this issue.
The first solution is to restore the older compressed image with BESR 7.0 or earlier.
The second solution is to convert the backups (images) created in BESR 6.5, 7.0 and Live State Recovery 3.0, 6.0 with medium compression to a different compression format before the image can be restored in BESR 8.0.  Image Browser (tool in older versions) can copy an older image with medium compression to a new backup file using high compression or no compression.  

Before I give up on my old backup file altogether -  assuming "BESR 7.0" is a (superseded) product, is there any way to obtain it?   Or does anyone have other ideas on how I can get into this file?

TIA

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

Not sure if this will work but maybe worth a try ...

Right click on the v2i file and use the mount option - this will mount the recovery point as a temporary volume in Windows. You can then copy the data you need.

criley
Employee Accredited

Did the above help?

michelep
Level 2

Thanks Chris - sorry for delay in reply.  Unfortunately the same error persists:

ED80001F: This recovery point file uses a form of compression (131072) that is not supported by this version of the product on this platform.

I know it's a pretty old file but I always thought that making backups would mean you could retrieve them in the future.