cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory Server (Windows 2003 R2) unable to boot after Installing Symantec System Recovery 2013

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

Hi Everyone,

We successfully deploy SSR 2013 on Windows Server 2003 R2 but problem arised when we try to deploy it on an Active Directory Server.

After successful installation, the server requires a reboot. But when we reboot it, the server failed to boot on Windows.

What we do is to uninstall the SSR 2013 so that it can boot properly. We try other vesion of SSR like 2011 but same error occurs.

The credential we used on installing SSR has an administrator rights.

I would like to know if SSR 2013 and 2011 has compatibility problem on Active Directory and what we can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance..:)

16 REPLIES 16

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

We have also SSR 2013 installed on our DCs but they are rebooting fine. And since also SSR 2011 makes some problems I think there is another reason for your problems. Whats the actual error message?

ruyt_soriano
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hello how are you? I will comment that I eh SSR 2013 installed without problems in an environment with the features you mention and worked smoothly. I commented that possibly something else like server maintenance. What I recommend before doing the migration or installation of the solution re ask or make a pre-launch. Because if not set up before is because the server has a problem and discard it so the new version. Now one of the best practices is before migrating any version RESTORATION MAKE A POINT just in case something happens like this. I hope I helped with my answer and I mention again that so far there is an incompatibility issue.

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

@Markus: No error message appear. When we installed SSR, it installed completely. But when we reboot the server as it requires, it can't boot properly.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So what exactly does mean it can't boot properly ?Can you describe that more in details please ?

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

Once i reboot it, you can only see a black screen.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I think you'd better open a case with Symantec to find out what is going wrong.

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

I already open a case to Symantec and talked to their technical support. He said that SSR Management Console doesn't work on Active Directory server. He said that we can only install agent on Active Directory server and not the Management Console. But as we experienced, the first thing we did is the push install and local installed of SSR agent and the error was the same.

I scheduled again the deployment tomorrow evening and do what they advice.

I will post it what happen after the deployment. Thanks Markus for the adive..:)

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

advice i mean..:)

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hh this is not true, SSR works and is supported on DCs. I'd ask for another technician.

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

The symantec technical support send me this link.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH184566&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D1366611268809UWW7nv46Ram74Qj7uLD4iW6djvi4AeJxwAc7p

Muhammad_Nazaka
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Please find attached and install as per instructions. This may help.

Regards,

Muhammad.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

The article talks about the Management Solution NOT the SSR Agent or the SSR Agent console. Do you try to install the management solution ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Please update !

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

Nope. I haven't try yet. The continuation of this deployment is scheduled next week and will give you an update regarding this.

By the way, we have another deployment of SSR 2013 on 3 new server (IBM x3650 M4 with Windows 2008 R2). The installation was succesful but when we reboot the system, it has bluescreen error  0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). at first, the drives cannot be found but when we load the driver of controller, the drives are now detected but still it can't boot properly even in safe mode and using the last known good configuration.

Does anyone experienced it? We don't have any recovery image of the servers to restore and our client needed the files on 1 of the servers badly.

Thanks in advance.:)

Alessandro_Spia
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

The problem seems to be due to the incompatibility of some drivers disk controller. What brand and model of the controller? The server gets the boot in safe mode? If so try uninstalling the Symantec product SSR and also disable all its services. So try to boot back into normal mode. If you came to this point, try to update with all possible upgrades and service packs that are available-and even update the drivers and firmware controllor discs. Finally, try to re-install SSR.

Mayrine_Derecho
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

We follow what symantec technical support advice us, to install SSR 2013 agent on Domain server (Windows 2003) but still black screen appear after restart.

Does anyone encountered this scenario?