cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After complete recovery, windows update seems to be missing history

JAta2
Level 4

I too just ran into the problem described in: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/norton-ghost-15-restoring-deletes-system-restore-poin...

After a restore, I noticed that Windows update indicates that it never installed an update (Updates were installed: Never).  Furthermore, hidden updates were not hidden any longer.  But the Installed Updates information is still all there, however.  Thus it is more of an annoyance than a real problem, but it isn't clear why this should be happening.

12 REPLIES 12

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is this with SSR 2013? So to verify - you created an image with SSR 2013, then after a restore, the Window Update history is blank and drives are no longer hidden?

JAta2
Level 4

>> Is this with SSR 2013?

Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition Version 11.0.0.46600

>> So to verify - you created an image with SSR 2013, then after a restore, the Window Update history is blank and drives are no longer hidden?

Yes, the image was created 4 hours earlier with SSR 2013.  After a restore, Windows Update says that "Updates were installed: Never" and if you click on "Restore hidden updates", it will indicate that there aren't any.  Attempting to "Check for updates" will present the previously hidden updates as available for installation.  Of course, they can be hidden again.  But if one clicks on "Installed Updates",. all the previously installed updates are properly listed indicating that the history is really still intact.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The link shared by you on the post :  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/norton-ghost-15-restoring-deletes-system-restore-poin...  is for Norton Ghost 15.

How did you perform the restore ?

What is the operating system that was restore ?

Was the image created using SSR 2013 or was that created using Norton ghost ?

What is the type of backup job - incremental or Full backup ?

Can you provide the steps used to perform the restore at your end ?

JAta2
Level 4

>> The link shared by you on the post... is for Norton Ghost 15

Yes, because that's the only place where I saw this problem documented.  I said that I had the same problem but obviously with a different product.

>> How did you perform the restore ?

Generated a system recovery disk image on 4/5, burned to DVD which I then used to boot and perform recovery.

>> Was the image created using SSR 2013 or was that created using Norton ghost ?

Nothing I did or reported was done in Norton Ghost, it was all done with the version reported above

>> What is the type of backup job - incremental or Full backup ?

This was the latest recovery set with multiple incrementals including an incremental I had generated 4 hours previously

>> Can you provide the steps used to perform the restore at your end ?

Booted from DVD, did a Recover My Computer operation with validation and picked the recovery set offered which was the latest recovery set.

Dave_H1
Level 4

I think you will find that those items are excluded from volume shadow copy and therefore also excluded from SSR.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

Not many people ever notice this and curiously with some versions of windows the exclusions are somehow honored during the restore because you can see them present in the image.  I really don't reccomend removing anything from the exclusions because for the most part they are there for a good reason.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa819132(VS.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb891959(v=vs.85).aspx

If you really want "everything" imaged you need to make a "cold image" from the recovery disk.

Dave

JAta2
Level 4

I don't think this has anything to do with VSS images.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb891959(v=vs.85).aspx

"Applications that perform volume-level backups generally do so by copying the entire volume at the block level, so they cannot honor the FilesNotToBackup registry key at backup time. Instead, they wait until restore time to delete the files that were not to be backed up. In most cases, this is a reasonable strategy. However, in the case of Single Instance Storage files, the SIS Common Store files must not be deleted at restore time."

If Symantec decided to remove the files on the restore from DVD, that's a different issue.

Mahesh_Nayak
Level 4
Employee Certified

could you confirm the operating System version and type , also during restore when you inform of restoring a Set could you be presice as to what file was used for a restore ( V2i or Sv2i ) .

Recommend you to attempt restore by file and use the date.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Jeta2 - This is something that has been discovered and is being investigated by our engineers. To see the updates installed into the machine, click on the INSTALLED UPDATES link in the 'Windows Updates' window and you will see an accurate list. 

You may want to create an incident with Symantec support. Make sure you reference incident 3218463.

JAta2
Level 4

>> could you confirm the operating System version and type

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

>> could you be presice as to what file was used for a restore ( V2i or Sv2i )

When restoring from DVD, that level of detail is not presented.  On;ly the backup set is presented.  It corresponded to a .iv2i file (latest incremental that was taken).

JAta2
Level 4

Thanks - incident case #04482783 created - incident 3218463 was mentioned.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I see the case and will follow it through until a fix is found.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just as a follow up on this case, the technote has been update. Essentially, the Microsoft VSS framework exludes the history from the backup, although the actual history is still preserved in the registry itself. Please follow this technote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH206890